Question for all you computer junkies/network gurus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ricehead, Dec 6, 2004.

1. ricehead

ricehead a world in which time is absolute is a world of co

So my uncle got cable internet at his vacation house, and it's running on a new D-link wireless router. It runs smoothly around 75% of the time, and the other time you get "page cannot be displayed" or "www.hotmail.com cannot be found" when using either IE or Firefox. Press refresh a few times and eventually it will load.
    I think what is happening is the cable connection way out in the boonies is crappy and intermittent, so it sometimes gets no signal back from the cable modem during page requests. Is there a way to get Firefox, or the computer in general, to look for the internet connection for a longer time with each request before giving up/timing out and showing an error?
    I contacted the cable company and he said that this is normal because it's not a great connection in that area, but that if more people subscribe to cable 'net, then they will put in better lines. :o

Cliffs:
    1. cable internet connection goes in and out because vacation home is in the boonies
    2. as a result, you get a lot of page load errors "server not found" etc
    3. how can i fix this on the computer's end? :o :o

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

3. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

maybe that, but there DNS servers could suck too. and thats whats giving you problems