GUN Question for all the cross dominant shooters

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Moistfly, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

What a PITA this is ... I just started shooting a few weeks ago and have come to realize that I'm left handed but right eye dominant. At first I just thought my grip was wrong and the pistols were torquing to the right every time I fired but now I realize I was shooting from my left eye and was basically not aiming true. So how do you other people in this situation cope? Learn to shoot with your non dominant hand? Twist your head so your aiming with your dominant eye? I haven't even tried rifles yet but I'm sure it's going to be an even bigger challenge ... but I'd at least like to get it right with handguns first.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

I am Right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot both eye's open, but for long distance or precision shots, I shoot with my right eye closed with my pistol slightly canted to the left even shooting freestyle and my head canted slightly to the right.

3. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I have this same issue: right handed and left eye dominant. For shotguns I find myself using both eyes to locate the target, then closing my left once the sights are on target, shooting only with my right. Rifles I just close my left eye. When I shoot a pistol, I find myself naturally closing my right eye and moving the pistol inline with my left eye.

4. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Thats basically what I do. That's how I knew you were left eye when I watched your shooting video, I could see you tilting your head :wavey:

I go cross eyed trying to shoot both open, but I do a weaver stance with my chin on my right shoulder and head tilted to the right with right eye closed. Lines the gun up with the center of my body and my left eye up with the gun.

It's what I was taught at TDI, works pretty well.

For rifle and shotgun I have a small piece of tape on my left eye close to the bridge of my nose. Helps me focus out of my right eye and close my left.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Not a problem at all, I shoot with a weaver stance and just naturally cock my head to the left.
    [​IMG]

for rifles I shoot righthanded.