Question amount OEM connectors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'm replacing my old head unit + cd unit with a unit from a WRX, which has the exact same connector, however the speaker wires are reversed (meaning that the + and - are swapped) and there is a power one that I need to move over one spot.

Basically, I need to know how to move wires in the harness to other spots on the harness without ruining the harness (if it's at all possible...)

I've dealt with replacing wire harnesses on a computer power supply (you basically push them out with a punch of some sort, then push them back in, etc.), is it exactly the same?

What risks do I run with the speakers if I leave the wires crossed? I would assume that the sound would be highly distorted, however I haven't heard that it makes a difference...?

Thanks!

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you can praoby leave them how they are and they should be ok

3. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

Yep, basically the same as a computer harness. You could also bypass the harness completely for those few wires if you didnt want to mess with the harness. Just hook the 3 wires coming off the headunit to the 3 correct wires before the harness together.

4. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

For my car, I had bought a metra harness and I had to move some pins. Inside the middle of the plug there was a red piece of plastic. Take some pliers and yank it out, then this "unlocks" the pins so you can push it out like how you described above. I dont know if this applies to you, but I figured I'd enlighten you anyways.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

THE SPEAKER ONES SHULD BE OK I DIDNT READ ENOUGH BUT TO MOVE TEH PWER ONES JUST LOOK AT HOW THE PINS SNAP IN TEHRE WORST COEMS TO WORST YOU CAN HARD WIRE IT IN sorry bout the caps