question about wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Corp, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

is there any way i can have my wireless connection disabled while i'm on a wired connection, and then enable itself when i disconnect from my wired connection? I want to do this because the wireless at my school is absolute shit, so I use a wired connection when I'm in my room, but every 5 seconds a balloon will pop up telling me that it connected or disconnected to the wireless. I'd rather not just disable the balloons, because I want to see them when I'm actually trying to use my wireless.
    Thanks

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How about setting the school wireless to not connect automatically? I'm not sure what effect that would have on the balloons though. You'd have to manually connect to it when you want to use it though.

I don't think there is a way to do what you want automatically.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

This is a laptop right? There should be a switch, button, or hotkey to enable/disable the wifi anytime you want.

4. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

wow, i can't believe i never thought of that :uh: this should work fine, thanks.

5. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

its a thinkpad, theres no way of disabling it that i've seen other than going through their configuration program

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Look around on the keyboard carefully. If there's not a hardware switch, there's usually a key for it along with keys for changing the screen brightness, contrast, etc. They're usually marked in blue and you hold down the Fn key to access them.