question about wifi

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phogen, Jul 24, 2004.

1. phogen

phogen Education is a progressive discovery of our own ig

My unkle is getting a strong wifi signal at his house. I've never gotten the chance to play around with wifi, but he wants me to help him get connected through this signal. Right now all he has is the signal. How would he find the isp/ip or whatever he needs to get connected. I'm sure there's a program out there to help with this, I just need pointed in the right direction.

thanks,
    john

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Is your uncle the one with the wireless AP, or is he just getting a signal from somewhere else??

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

http://www.netstumbler.com/ will scan your location and tell you what access points are available and whether or not they're encrypted. Most likely one or more of his neighbors nearby has a wireless LAN.

4. phogen

phogen Education is a progressive discovery of our own ig

Ya, he's just getting the signal from somewhere else. Like the last poster said, probably a neighbor or something. Will netstumbler give you the info you need to get connected?

5. Stev

Stev Active Member

netstumbler is a big help in analyzing the wireless signal.

www.netstumbler.com

Let us know things like what IP address was assigned to his computer if there was one...
    Basicly, the problem is either in authentication or association. They could have MAC address filtering or SSID turned off or... something up, so it might not be possible.

but install it and get back to us on some info.