Question about what timing and what type of cardio

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thebeave, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeave

thebeave New Member

So I'm under the understanding that your body needs protein as soon as possible after weight training and that cardio right after weight training is more effective than cardio by itself (from a time/benefit standpoint).

I've never really done cardio but I wanted to lose some bodyfat and maintain as much muscle as possible so I was going to maintain my current diet (but less carbs, more fat)/weight training and add a few 30-45 minute cardio sessions a week (treadmill at a brisk walk on an incline) after weight training and just bring protein powder in a water bottle for after weight training.

Suggestions/feedback? Is there a more effective way to lose fat while maintaining muscle?

2. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Lift weights then do cardio then have a protein/carb shake

3. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Why do you want to increase your fat intake?

4. thebeave

thebeave New Member

To make up for the decreased calories from less carbs.

If I'm going to maintain my calories for the day and I decrease my carbs I have to make it up from somewhere. I've always heard that you should get more of your energy from fat during a cut :dunno:

5. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Yeah, fat is the ideal source of energy for your body.

However here's quote for Rippetoe about your cardio though,

You can ignore the CrossFit stuff if you want- but you don't really want to be wasting your time with slow cardio for extended periods of time.

6. SirBoss7

SirBoss7 Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy t

I'm not a big guy by any means, but my strength isn't too bad. I weigh 142-145ish but can curl 50s and run a 5:20 mile.

I usually sprint 2 miles before I do calisthetics and weights for an hour and half. Then when I do my long runs, I focus on decreasing my times incrementally while running with a camelpak with about 6-9lbs of weights in it.

As for protein intake, I've heard that around 15-45min is a good time after a workout, and that a ratio of 2.5 carbs : 1 protein is effective. I've been doing this lately and limiting desserts and I've toned down a lot while maintaining my strength.

7. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

50s no wai

8. awdboost

awdboost New Member

I'm in the similiar boat as the OP. My only question is should I drink my protein shake between the time I finish lifting nd begin cardio. Or should I lift, then a 20-30 min of cardio, then drink my shake??

9. awdboost

awdboost New Member

I personally like the elliptical less stress on the knees. But I occasionaly mix it up a bit. Like after two weeks of the elliptical I would do the stationary bike, treadmill, and stairmachine. Then I would go back to the elliptical for a week. Just keeps me from getting bored from it.

10. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I did it for the first time yesterday and ended up just doing 20 minutes. I set the incline to 12 (of 15) and the speed to 4 and that was enough to keep my heart rate in the low 150s for the whole time.

I really don't know jack shit about using cardio properly... need some answers guys :o

I also know that the first few hours after you lift weights you should eat a lot, which I do and it has worked well for me. But I have heard that you shouldn't eat certain things or certain quantities after cardio, which would conflict if you're doing both in the same session :hs:

11. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.