question about what i should use on my car to get it ready for a show

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TheKrazyRaven, Apr 2, 2007.

1. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

i've been reading around and gotten lots of good info here but not really anything specific

my question is what should i use on my black maxima thats got swirl marks out the ass, i got a porter cable 7424 on its way through a friend that got it on the $50 close out deal but i dunno if it will be here before the car show

i read in one of the product threads to use meguires #9 polish (i think thats what it is) i bought some s100 wax the other day that i am gonna use

but like i said, what should i use to get rid of the swirls, i doubt i am gonna get it perfect but i wanna make it look better than it is

thanks

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Read the Detailing EDU, it covers proper PC usage. #9 probably isn't going to be strong enough to remove heavy swirls. There should be a Meguiars professional product supplier near you, there is a locator at www.meguiars.com

I'd get some #83 DACP and #80 Speed Glaze and use those two to remove the swirls. Remember, less is more. Don't glob on a lot of polish onto the pads. Here is a hint that works for all products; if after polishing, the excess product is hard to remove, you used too much or didn't work it long enough. On the back of #83, it specifically says "work until almost dry". Do that and it works great and is easy to remove.

3. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

should i use the same stuff by hand if the PC isnt here by then? i know i wont get it looking as good

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Trying to work DACP or #80 by hand is a nightmare.

For your Max, DACP with a Meg's yellow pad would probibly be the best combo. Nissan paint is a bitch.

5. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

apparently it was repainted at some point, when i dunno

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

You may luck out because of that.

Either way, your still going to need the PC to do any real justice to those swirls.

7. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

what should i use by hand incase the PC doesnt come in time (i know i wont get nearly as good of a result)? at least its Hot Import Nights so it'll be dark

the outside shows dont start for another couple of months, but i'd just like it to look good ya know

its not bad as you can see here after just a wash but still i know it can look better

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  8. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

you can use a glaze to hide imperfections for a short time like that.

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Pretty much. I'd just use Meguiars #7 and top with NXT for right now.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Get some mroe direct sun shots if you can, so we can get a good look at the imperfections at hand.

11. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

that wont happen for a week or so, its gonna be shitty here for awhile

12. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

well here it is after lots of work

[​IMG]

the car definatly still needs to be machine polished, swirl marks galore when your closer than a foot to it, but it looked bitchin at HIN w/ low lights

i did wash, clay bar, meg's #9 by hand in a few bad spots (was a bitch but it worked) meg's #7 then s100

then we drove there in the rain so we used lots of quick detailer and they got dusty over night so more quick detail in the morning, i am very pleased with how it came out by hand

the interior looks brand new (i never think to take int shots) woolite and water is the SHIT