WEB Question about website inventory updating etc.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by s34s0ns, Apr 6, 2010.

1. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

Okay, to start off a friend and I are messing around with the idea of making a website that sells "stuff."

It's basically the middle man between the companies and consumer, like newegg.com is for computer parts etc.

My question is, how do they keep each item updated and arranged? I don't really see them having some dude sitting there updating thousands of items.

Let me condense this:

Is there a way to not have to input thousands of individual items to a merchandise style website?

How do you track / update them once they are on there?

annnnd thanks for reading, I've designed simple web pages, but haven't really gotten into anything of this nature.

2. dazed

dazed New Member

there are a ton of solutions out there for small business.

for a site with thousands of items, you're likely going to need a custom ecommerce solution.

3. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

...Or you can use Drupal with the Ubercart module.

Or a good Magento developer.

5. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

6. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

Okay, I'm starting to grasp that side of it... the buying and selling etc.

but what I'm really getting at is setting up the actual website, I'm going to need thousands of pages and categories for each item etc. or am i missing your point?

7. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

really hard to say as there are many ways it happens on sites.

You say you want to be a "middle man", then you may not have to worry about inventory at all...just know that that the distributer/s has the item in stock, or able to back order, and then let them worry about fulfillment. It's definitely easier starting out with a distributer that does drop-shipping too...then you don't have to have any actual inventory yourself and don't have to deal with the actual shipping hassles. Maybe not even the customer service on the products after. But just depends on your niche and if there are distributors/drop-shippers for that market.

Depending on what you are planning, you might even be able to just find a data-feed merchant where you basically just publish their inventory and build it into your site and make commissions off sales. Then just spend your time on building traffic.

8. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

That's pretty much what I'm looking for, I'm not planning on having any actual inventory, just the task of manually entering each item into the site seems daunting. So there are ways / such a thing as a data feed from a merchant?

enlighten me.

EDIT: this is exactly what I'm looking for.

9. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I don't know enough about setting up datafeed sites to give much beginner help. But there are plenty of places to learn more about it.

Depends on your niche...there may or may not be a merchant out there that offers something you are looking for.

Might help to start with a network, like maybe sharasale, that has a lot of merchants with datafeeds.

I know abestweb forum has a lot of affiliates who build sites like that...though I haven't really spent much time on that forum so not sure how helpful they are. Here is a datafeed specific forum though: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=193

5staraffiliate also has a directory of datafeed merchants:
    http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.com/IPC-datafeeds.html

edit: and some basic information: http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.com/datafeed1.html

10. ge0

ge0 New Member

Have the software decrement the inventory on hand?

11. LowClass

LowClass New Member

I got a great idea for you since you do not have an inkling of what you are doing. Search for e-commerce related sites and read them. Set up an open source shopping cart script on a development box or whatever and try setting up a fake website and managing it.

Otherwise everyone is wasting their time. There are tons of ways to do it, but most people have stuff explained to them and then realize it's not as easy as they thought and then don't do shit.....

12. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

Yeah, I don't really expect it to be easy... and that's exactly why I came here first to check into it.

13. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

Thank you, checking those out right now.

That's just what I needed. It's what I've been looking for, but didn't know it.

14. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

ubercart ftmfw