Question about Vista on my laptop (touchpad)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by farrelly, Apr 23, 2007.

1. farrelly

farrelly New Member

I just finished upgrading to vista ultimate on my laptop just to see what it was like. It upgraded fine and i'm not all that impressed with vista. My touchpad is working fine except i used to be able to scroll by sliding my finger down the side of it. It doesn't do that anymore. i can still tap the touchpad to click on things but the scroll doesn't work anymore. I really like using the touchpad to scroll and its frustrating not having it. The laptop is a dell inspiron 700m. i tried searching for mouse drivers but it says they're up to date. Anyone know how i can fix this? Also does AVG free not work properly with vista? I reinstalled it but it says teh resident sheild is not installed. I'm close to reformatting this thing back to xp pro but i'm afraid if i do that the scroll will not work then either. anything you guys can tell me would be great.

thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The scroll functionality you describe is a feature implemented by Synaptic at the driver-level.

I would recommend you ditch Vista while you still can.

3. farrelly

farrelly New Member

is there a way to go back a few hours and undo the upgrade? Or do i have to break out my xp cd and reformat?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

whip out that cd, and make some popcorn... you're gonna be busy a few hours.

5. farrelly

farrelly New Member

damn, starting now. i've used my cd on a few computers but never this one, is there a way around the key not working, I callled up and bullshited last time and they activated it but i dont' want to do taht if i don't have to.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I upgraded my XPS M1210 to Vista a while back and Dell sent me Vista compatible drivers for the touchpad. The scrolling works fine.

Since you are re-formatting, the drivers for the touchpad will be on the Dell driver CD (or get them online). They are not installed automatically.