question about upgrading video card???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xXVERBXx, Sep 27, 2005.

1. xXVERBXx

xXVERBXx Tungsten Carbide Member

well my computer is a few years old, i have a geforce4 ti 4600, P4 2.5 Ghz, 1gg ram, what i am wondeirng if i upgrade, will a PCI exspress card work in place of my old gefroce 4600,

i dont know if this is a stupid question or not, but when i look through new egg, it seems like every thing is PCI exspress now, and im not sure it its compatible with my old computer.

2. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

NO it won't, you need a PCI-Express motherboard.

3. xXVERBXx

ok so i did a little researching and found out that my video card slot is AGP X4,

my next question is, if i find a video card that is AGP X4/X8 will it work, or do i have to find one that is AGP X2/X4 ? :dunno:

4. MP

MP New Member

a higher card will just default to 4x

5. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I recommend looking at a 6600GT AGP. I just bought one from newegg and its runs pretty well for the price. I use to be a die hard ATI user, but seemed to have nothing but problems with my 9500 Pro and drivers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  6. xXVERBXx

that exactly what i have been looking at. im leaning towards the

CHAINTECH Geforce 6600GT or the PNY Geforce 6600GT

im not realy sure what one is the better company, but the chaintech comes with a few extra games, and the heat sink and fan shroud are bigger, that might keep the card cooler..:dunno: and there basicly only a few dollars different.

7. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

eVGA and BFG are the best currently due to their overclocked cards and lifetime warranties. your best bet is going with one of those 2.

8. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

I just built a friend a $700 gaming rig with a Gigabyte 6600GT PCI-E. Didn't look into the AGP variants, this was a brand new system, but the Chaintech had a 900MHz memory clock speed so I got him the Gigabyte, which had a 1GHz.

He's using a Chaintech VNF4/Ultra motherboard, the two seem to be a wonderful combo. With the 3000+ AMD64 his box is the fastest machine I've worked on in a LONG time. It kills my [email protected]+ XP/9700 Pro/Chaintech 7NIL1 setup. Because of him I got bit by the upgrade bug again.

Awesome machine, ran everything we threw at it like a bat outta hell.