Question about updating RAM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by metalfan111, Aug 4, 2006.

1. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

I have a Dell Dimension 8200. 1.8GHZ P4, 200GB HDD, 256MB PC800 RDRAM. I waited a while to buy more RAM because PC800 is so expensive, about $40 for 128MB. I recently found a good price and am considering buying an addition 256MB. My question is, will I see a big difference in performanec? I have Windows XP Home and all I basically do is Microsoft Office stuff, surf the web, watch videos, listen to music, chat, stuff like that, nothing heavy. Will buying 256MB of RAM make a big difference? When I have Firefox, iTunes and AIM open at the same time, my computer slows down a lot, so I'm thinking thiswill help alot. What do you think? Thanks.
  2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Nov 14, 2000
    You will see a difference, get anx extra 256mb
  3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera New Member OT Supporter

Jan 27, 2005
    If you want to keep the computer for a few more years, you should really aim for a gigabyte of RAM. sells OEM memory at NewEgg prices; give them a look.

Actually, I had to buy some RDRAM for that very same model of Dell for one of our employees about a month ago. It's wasn't cheap (RDRAM never is), but it was exactly the right kind and the price was comparable to NewEgg, as I said before.