GUN Question about transporting a handgun given to a friend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'm going on a trip this Wed. to Orlando, FL from Kansas City, MO. I am flying commercially, but there is a group of people that are driving down. Instead of going through the hassle of flying with my Carry Weapon, I've decided to give it to the driver of the car going down. It will be locked as per the peaceable journey law. Is there any issue with him not owning the gun, and transporting it for me? I'm sending along a letter incase he happens to get pulled over.

Letter below:
    How's that look for a letter?

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I hope that no one who reads the letter will have to scroll left and right several times...

What states will the driver be going through? Depending on the states, the letter could very well be overkill. :dunno:

Doesn't hurt to be safe, though...

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I edited the post to change from :code: to :quote:

I'm ok with overkill. It keeps the LEO easy.

States would be whatever is the quickest route between missouri and florida. maybe Kentucky, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida?
    Edit: maybe Illinois, so it may not be a bad idea.

4. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why not fly with it? As long as you already planned on carrying luggage there is little/no hassle with bringing a handgun. just keep it in a locked case, and declare it at check-in.

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Probably going to be just bringing carry-ons and don't really want to have to worry about it. I don't have a hard case for it to fit in, and generally just don't want the hassle, as I'm going with a group of people on the airplane.

7. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I hear ya, plus there is always the little devil in the back of your mind that thinks a shifty airline baggage loader might swipe it...

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

southern illinois is gun friendly, he'd be legal here with the gun unloaded in a zipped up case, even with loaded magazines in the same case.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

More than likely he will never need the letter and if he does he's probably got bigger problems, like being in a location that isn't going to respect the interstate transportation act, got a cop who doesn't know the law, ect. Besides if he has been pulled over and given the officer enough reason to search the trunk of the car and find a locked gun case I think he may have a bigger problem.

That being said it always pays to error on the side of caution, the letter is already typed all you have to do is print it.

I'm not sure I personally would repeatedly refer to it as a concealable weapon and your intention to carry it. If it is lawful to posses in MO and lawful to poses in FL I am not sure why your intention to carry it needs to be mentioned. Mentioning your permit might not be bad, just as a sign of training and responsibility.

10. P-chan

P-chan New Member

No point in mentioning "concealable firearm" since 1) it's not being concealed and 2) any firearm is concealable :o

Also - it's ok to mention you are a CCW holder but they aren't going to give a shit if there is a problem. Your driver is not a CCW holder.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Flying it will be 10 time easier with less hassles.

12. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Legally the easiest thing maybe if you can find a carrier willing to do so.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

Ship it and insure it.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I would seal it in a case with 7 padlocks, then drop that in a 55 gallon drum, fill it with cement, chain it to a trailer behind the car with a notarized letter from my myself and the president stating my intentions.

Jesus fuck you unload it and put it in a case in the trunk or in a locked case in the car and you meet federal safe passage requirements from fopa, it doesn't need to be this complex :rofl: