Question about toyota celica lower control arm

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Teh Jebus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Teh Jebus

Teh Jebus Active Member

My brother helped me replace the lower control arm on my 92 toyota celica. Now when I drive it though, you can hear the roter's grinding and the brakes work like total shit. Infact, after the initial test drive, it seems the brakes are locked up.

Someone told me that the bolt for the control arm is too tight and causing this issue. they say it needs to be finger loose, with the cotter pin in place holding it. Instead, right now, it's bolted really tight, with the cotter pin in. He says for reasons I can't recall that this causes the issue I'm having.

It ever so slightly makes sense since the issue didn't start until we replaced the control arm.

So. Anybody have suggestions?

2. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

Whoever told you that is dumb.

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

No, the control arm bolt needs to be torqued.

4. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

There is no cotter pin on the control arm bolt for that.

Remove the wheel.
    Pump the brakes.
    Release the brakes.
    Loosen the bleeder screw.
    If fluid spurts out [note, some will come out regardless] you probably damaged your hose. Check to make sure the yellow line on the side of it is straight and not twisted around the line. If it is, you twisted the line.
    If that all checks out pull the caliper back off and make sure it's not locked up on the slides and the piston is ok.