Question about Tomcat 6 v.timeouts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 10, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

VMware Server 2.x uses a web interface served by Apache Tomcat 6, which really waxes my ass because a compiled program running locally should damn well have a compiled user interface to go along with it. But that's beside the point.

When I open the web interface for VMware Server, it always fails to load the page on the first try; when I hit Refresh within a reasonable period of time (i.e. I don't go to get a cup of coffee and bullshit with my coworkers first), it always succeeds in loading the page on the second try. So it seems to me that Tomcat is somehow dropping into a standby mode when there aren't any active user sessions connected to it. How can I tell it not to do this?

2. deusexaethera

Nobody's got anything?

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You want to look at the Apache log to see whats happening.

tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log most likely

P.S. Compiled interfaces are so much failure.

4. deusexaethera

Actually, web interfaces are far more failure than compiled interfaces. If they want to have a cross-platform interface, they could've at least written it as a Java app. Having to install a fucking web server and servlet engine on a VM host is absurd to the point of being embarassing, and there are a great many VMware users who agree with me on that point.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I don't have that problem on any of my VMWare servers. Must be your environment.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Having to install a web interface is fail, but do you really have to install it or is it part of the package? Do you have to run Apache? That seems like overwhelming overkill.

People HATE Java interfaces. Can't stand them.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

btw - I've had this happen in virtualized environments before, when the disk was asleep and it took time to spool it. Happened to me on a slicehost.

Try turning off disk sleepage and retry.