Question about Thyroid bullshit and physical activity and my shit existence

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Man Bear Pig, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

For the past four months I have been battling what appears to be hypothyroidism. I have had blood work run multiple times in the past couple years, and one comment that always stuck out was about my TH4/3 levels. Docs would mention "it looks like you are on the low range of thyroid levels," and that would be the extant of the conversation relating to my thyroid.

Fast forward to nowadays and the same old comments. This time around though it is of concern to me, because I have been exhibiting many of the defining symptoms of hypothyroidism, dystemic depression, weight gain (BF), hoarse voice, and more importantly fatigue.

I am chronically fucking tired. I mean, I wake up at 8 am to go to class and leave school at 12 pm to go home and sleep because I am so tired and get about three hours until training. Come home, around 6 and want to sleep some more. During the week, I approach up to almost 10+ hours each day sometimes up to 14.... On the weekends I am usually awake for about meh 20 hours, the rest I am in bed asleep or just laying there trying to sleep.

My question is this, and I haven't been able to find a straight answer on line or in the peer reviewed journals; what is the effect of physical activity on your thyroid? I know resistance training increases metabolic activity blah blah, but does it affect the thyroid increasing TH3/4 levels? I ask, because if you were to take a person that was borderline hypothyroidic, and put them on a heavy duty training regiment would their levels come into the low range of normal?

This is seriously fucking up my life. I have had to drop 8 credits, down to 11 now, and has pretty much made my life shitty. So far docs, have been baffled and given me meds for narcolepsy so I can stay awake, which well suck horse cock.

This is perhaps beyond the scope of this forum, but if anyone has any ideas, what to ask my doc, or if I should say fuck them and get on endocrinologist on the case, it is more than welcome.

2. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Last blood test I had showed I was on the low end of the spectrum and my doc prescribed me some meds. :dunno:

btw I never even picked up the prescription because I was so close to normal.

3. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Armour Thyroid or synthroid? Hypothyroidism can make your life hell dude, don't fuck around with it. Even being on the "low side of normal" at a young age can indicate some potential bad times in your future.

4. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I am at the low end of the range for both, significantly low. The first time I was tested, was about two years ago when I went crazy from an "adverse" reaction to zoloft... they were "oh your thyroid is low, hmm." Two weeks later I was diagnosed with the type of depression which is symptomatic of hypothyroidism; dysthymia.

Right now, I can chug a Rockstar tallboy while taking Hotrox Extreme, or whatever the fuck it is called, and still fall asleep an hour later if I wanted. I haven't had any hardcore stims in along time, so I have no clue what the fuck is up.

5. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Care to share your experiences?

6. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Everyone on OT jokes about it, but have you had your testosterone level checked? Low test often goes hand in hand with hypothyroidism...even if you're on the low side of normal. Low test will worsen any of the above feelings you described.

7. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

My experience is getting my testosterone level checked and finding out it was extremely below the normal "low" end. Through MUCH research and my own medical education, I know that hypogonadism is often found in people who also suffer from hypothyroidism.

Luckily for me my thyroid panels have always been fine, so one less thing for me to worry about.

8. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

seriously. just the fact that he posts in FN prolly means he has low test.

9. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

I have not requested it, but was thinking about it, along with cortisol levels.

10. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Sure, getting your adrenals checked for fatigue is pretty important with the type of chronic fatigue you are describing.

11. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Sounds like you're just really bored.

Seriously, get a referral to an endocrinologist. This could be indicative of a larger problem like thyroid disease. You really need to answer the question of why your Free T3/T4 is so low. It could be low TSH or something else unrelated. They say you are on "the low end" because "normal" is a range, but each individual needs different amounts to function normally. For example, I need a relatively high dosage just to feel average. Others don't need so much. You need to look at your thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels as well. It could be that your body is screaming for more T3/T4 by putting out a ton of TSH, but your thyroid isn't responding. Or perhaps your TSH levels are so low that it's not even telling your thyroid to produce enough. I think TSH levels are linked to the pituitary gland, so if it's a TSH issue, you may have other pituitary-regulated hormonal issues. I'd get em all checked.

As far as your question of whether physical activity changes your thyroid hormone levels, I couldn't tell you. I can say that at least anecdotally, when I am physically active, I require more synthroid than otherwise.

You really should get a referral to an endocrinologist. Your average primary care doc isn't going to know a lot of the ins and outs of hypothyroidism.

Let me know if you have any questions. This is one of the few areas I'd consider myself knowledgeable enough to speak about.

12. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Thanks for the info.

13. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Go to your doc and tell him what you wrote in your first post about how it's fucking up your life.

Technically, being at the bottom of the reference range means that your thyroid is still normal - BUT you are experiencing symptoms (and like someone already said, everybody's "normal" is different.) Since you are experiencing symptoms, your doctor should do something about it.

Also, I'd be surprised if they tested free T3 and T4 without testing TSH first.

14. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

They are well aware of it... which makes it even more frustrating. Time for new docs...

15. macro

macro New Member

you can always supplement t3

note- low range thyroid levels are common among people with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Have you tried tanning? just a thought.

16. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

well in that case.. definitely time for a new doc.

Like I said normally if they test you and the rests are within reference (which yours are) then they don't need to do anything.. but since you are showing more than a few related symptoms over quite a long period of time, they should look into it further.

Macro is right.. you could supplement T3 yourself but to be honest I would get a doctors diagnosis first. Although your symptoms DO sound like hypothyroid there are lots of other things which affect sleep, mood, weight gain etc and IMO it's a bit early to be self-diagnosing.

17. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Yeah, I have I have been tanning once a week no luck. Pretty sure it is not SADS, because of the amount of vitamin D I get each day, and I get this way during the summer as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.