A&P Question about the lens with the 20d.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by phatkat, Mar 31, 2005.

1. phatkat

phatkat I got nothing...

Is the lens that comes with the 20d good enough for a beginner. I have read in many places that it is a decent lens for the price that you get it for. I have also read on some sites that it comes with a USM and some say it doesn't. :shrug:

Or should I go through b&h and get the body with another lens? If so what lens would you suggest?

p.s. Eventually I want to be doing alot of outside shots and some sports / (moving) car shots.

2. ShadowWalker

ShadowWalker New Member

For $100 the lens is a good deal, but don't expect it to be pro quality glass. There are two versions of that lens, one with USM one without. I'd get the one with USM. My digital rebel came with the non-usm version and its ok. For sports it isn't good mainly because its not long enough to get close t the action.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Its an ok lens, but you might be better off with the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 XR Di for everyday use, but for a wide angle you can't go wrong with the kit lens

4. phatkat

phatkat I got nothing...

I have read quite a bit about that lens... kinda scared about the fact that they seem to vary in quality :noes:

Right now I have:

Canon EOS 20D, 8.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera with Canon 18-55mm Lens
    Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
    Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    2x Lexar 1GB 80x CompactFlash Card with Write Acceleration (WA) Technology

sitting in my cart at b&h for a total of 2100.80 (w/ 3day shipping) taunting me. b&h is out of stock on the USM lens... :(

I think that would be more than enough to start learning with and then when I get the hang of it I can pickup my telephoto lens for the distance action.

Can anyone recommend a bag? I hate to get one online without seeing it but at the same time I don't know of any local photo places where I could look at a large selection.

5. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Bags... wow. So many. I use an Mrock holster and a telephoto holster that ties to it for on the go stuff usually, and I'm getting an accessory belt to keep it all on soon. Right now I put it on a normal belt. If I were you, I would DEFINITELY go for one of hte sexy shoulder-bag ones. It's like a quick-access backpack. Pricey, but I wish I had done it, it would have been a world of difference. I've got a normalish nikon carry bag (cheap). With a n65, d70, 28-80 G lens, 70-300 G lens with hood, polarizer, and crappy flash, it's mucho crowded.

Also, aren't you forgetting circular polarizers? And a tripod? Get a good tripod, rich boy >.<! lol. I need money :(

6. SoonDubu

SoonDubu The most honest moment in a man's life is the five OT Supporter

7. sony

sony Active Member

micro trekker 200

8. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Been using my kit lens as it was the only one I had until yesterday. Its not bad, especially for a beginer. I'm learning myself with it and its not bad at all.

Just got my 75-300 IS and my 50mm in the mail from B&H yesterday. Loving them so far but haven't had much time with them.

Just sucks to buy such a great camera and then not be able to afford L series glass :uh:

9. sony

sony Active Member

I can't afford L glass and I'm doing fine, I think. :wiggle:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

The Canon Deluxe Backpack 200EG (Ithink) is the best value for a bag at $50 for a backpack. I now use a Tamrac 5575 but might switch to a 5575.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See this thread for more examples of what people use for bags

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/184681/0

11. Ingen

Ingen New Member

12. Toogy

Toogy New Member

Damn, I meant to reply to this thread.
    I second the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 I have it on my 20D and it gives me excellent shots. My friend has the Canon 24-70 F2.8 and I really notice no difference in the picture quality between the two lenses.

13. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Fryingpan also has a tamron for his D70 and loves it. I think its the 24-200. Fucking heavy though. Feels nice and solid. You could give quite a beating with it :hsd:

And 48, you're right. For most people the non-L glass is just fine. I'll never spend that much on a lens unless one day I become a pro (which judging by my current skills will NEVER happen :hs: )

14. ShadowWalker

ShadowWalker New Member

I want that bag. I have almost grown out of my lowepro nova 3. Backpacks are the way to go as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  15. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

Yep it's fine for a 'noobie'. A lot of people new to photography get caught up in equipment. It can be a very expensive hobby.

1. Canon = Nikon. There is no difference.
    2. A bag full of L lenses doen't make you a better photographer.
    3. The only way to get better is to take more pictures.
    4. Lenses: Canon or Nikon>Tamaron>Sigma>everyone else.

Good photography: it's never the gear, it's what's behind the eye piece that counts most.

16. phatkat

phatkat I got nothing...

Ah yes... polarizers... ya... so [incomming noob questions] whats the best way to go about them? From what I see it seems like I have to get a set for each lens? Can you even put them on the kit lens?
    I've been getting to the filters in my research... hence why it's all still in a shopping cart and not on order yet. Been surfing for a couple of months now and just reading reading reading...

As for a tripod I figured I would get one from a distributing center that is located in the same building as me. If they had the 20d I would get it from them also but they don't :( Any tripod that you would suggest? I really need to meet some people in the hobby locally so I can get a better idea of the equipment.

17. phatkat

phatkat I got nothing...

Thanks for the pics and link. I'll check it out I like the idea of a going the backpack route... it will work better on a bike.

18. phatkat

phatkat I got nothing...

Ya... I'm trying to watch myself... I'm doing my best to not get caught up in the equipment but at the same time I want to make sure I can get somthing I woln't outgrow TOO fast. Then again like you said it's never the gear...

19. sony

sony Active Member

:hsugh:

20. mojito

mojito New Member

the guy overnighted the 16-35, though it had a generic frotn end cap and no rear cap :noes:

nothing a trips to samys didn't fix. That and a new Gitzo monopod on a student discount for the nikon 400 2.8 I've been borrowing.

21. sony

sony Active Member

wtfnorearcap :hsugh: how is it? :wiggle: