Question about the clamshell iBooks...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

My sister wants to get a newer iBook and has the older style ones sitting doing nothing. She hasn't touched it in forever so I offered to take it offer her hands so I have something simple I can tote around or go online away from home.

I wonder how upgradable these were. I figure I can get pretty much what I need off eBay for RAM & HD needs. But how large of a HD can these support & what was the max RAM they could take? I think it's the 233mhz model w/a base of 128mb RAM and 4gb HD. I can add an Airport card to that right?

Last I remember I put in a 512 for her and it runs OSX (the original!) fairly well.

2. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

We had one in the office; 300mhz, around 256mb ram, and it ran Panther fine :dunno:

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

my 400mhz pismo powerbook is running tiger just fine and it has an airport card in it too. it will be a little sluggish, but its to be expected.

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

This iBook has no DVD drive. So I assume I would have to plug it into my G5 w/the Firewire & target boot?

5. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i dont think many of the older iBooks even support tiger. we got tiger on CDs through the apple media exchange for my moms g3 ibook, and when we tried to install the OS it just says its not supported. My moms ibook doesnt have firewire, but i think even if it did, the OS takes up too much space for those little HDs.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

The Pismo is the oldest powerbook that can support Tiger so i'd assume the clamshell ones can't.