MIL Question about state vehicle laws

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seven, Jun 27, 2007.

1. seven

seven New Member

My motrocycle/car passes inspection in texas

however once I'm stationed in cali, I'm pretty sure at least my bike will fail emissions test there.

Do people who are residents of another state get any sort of help from the law here? or am i gonna have to get my bike modified for California standards?

2. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Someone from California can better confirm this, but here's what I know.

Texas has vehicle inspection requirements every year, in california it's every 2 years. If you are in the military, and the vehicle is registered in Texas in your or your spouse's name then you are good to go to keep your Texas license plates. This means you do not have to register your vehicle in California/pass their smog inspections, but you need to keep your Texas registration valid by and reregistering online each year.

3. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Sounds about right.

4. seven

seven New Member

i see

what about the yearly inspection I'd be subject to in Texas? do i just not need to get it inspected while in cali?

5. Nixstress

As long as you have military orders for California and keep your Texas vehicle registration current then you do not. Keep in mind once you are back in Texas you will have a 3 day grace period to get your vehicle inspected.

Again, I could be wrong and things may be different now, so don't take my word on this.

6. Nixstress

Who knows, things change all the time.

7. seven

seven New Member

thanks for the info :bigthumb:

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

This is correct. I have called the TX DMV before to confirm this, and after quite a runaround, I got an official OK on this, but I don't know where it is written. The only thing I'm not sure about is the length of the grace period upon return. Mind you, you are required to re-inspect even if you just drive down to TX for a week on leave.

9. JSin

JSin New Member

I have Cali registration and am in another state, I just had to fill out a form from Cali saying that I was coming back and that I would get an inspection when I got back and they would update my registration with the inspection. I'm sure its the same in most states.

10. darnit

darnit New Member

the only difference I would add to the above info is that it has to be in the active duty members name. Or at least that is the rule in NJ.

11. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

check on base with your PSD office.

Sometimes there are forms that they can offer you to allow for vehicle exemptions

For example to register a vehicle you bring into Hawaii is outrageous. However they offer military an exemption that allows you to just pay 5 bucks to put a sticker on the bumper of the car yearly and then requires you to maintain your normal registration.

12. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I joined in 02 and I never had my car inspected until last year when I got out. I'm from PA. I just renewed the registration every year. Here I think you have a 10-day grace period to get your car inspected when you bring it back in the state.