Question about squat racks

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by n99nyrwg, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

So usually I just squat with a free-weight barbell. But all those stations were taken up, so I had to use one of those squat stations where the barbell is attached to the rack.

It looks like this:
    http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/6510/exercise185055826616em.jpg

As I was squatting it seemed just as hard as usual. But after my legs didn't seem as worked out as usual. Is it just in my head or does using one of these stations make a considerable difference?

The reason I ask is because I liked it since it forced me to keep perfect form. But I don't like it if it's not nearly as good of a workout.

2. Regnevelc

Regnevelc New Member

The Bar is countered out by weights on the machine I believe. And you dont use your stabilizer muscles when using the Smith Machine. I dont think you get a good of a workout doing sqauts. But you can blast the shit out of your Quads if you stick your feet out in front of the bar quite a bit and use quads only.

3. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Yeah, I was thinking it would ruin the workout for the stabilizer muscles, but I'm new to squatting so I wanted your input.

Thanks.

4. Chewbs

Chewbs Swollen Member

The smith machine counters the weight of the bar? I did not know this. I have done squats in both a smith and a rack and I did not notice much difference.

5. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

ask to work in next time

6. princess0fdiabl0

princess0fdiabl0 The Hairy Animal

it depends on the machine. Some machines counter it so that the bar is virtually weightless. Others let it pretty much freefall and you have a normal 45 lb bar. Not that i would know from using them :ugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.