GUN Question about sight adjustments

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Nov 2, 2005.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

My uncle let me use his fathers (my grandpa's) .22 Mossburg from way back. It fires great, cycles awsome, etc. The only problem is the damn scope. It still is up and to the left a little bit. Ive adjusted it full tot he right, and full down. and NOTHING. It got better, but is not dead on.

What more can I do? Also, if there are any more pics you need. Let me know.
    [​IMG]

thanks, i appreciate it.

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

is the rifling worn down? are there any gouges on the inside of the barrel? is the bolt holding the case tight in the chamber? all of those can affect accuracy. also, see if you can move the scope adjjusters back to zero w/o affecting the point of impact and then adjust some more. how far off is it? just a hair? a few inches? are you squeezing the trigger or jerking it? are you anticipating the shot or is it a surprise each time it goes off? don't rule out trying a different brand of ammo either.

3. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Mossberg 42? NEAT rifle :cool:

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

The accuracy is not a HUGE problem. I dont see any problems in the rifling, but that doesnt meen its not there. My GF and I got some pretty good groupings, but you just had to aim down-right of the bullseye. I was hitting cans regularly too. Its off Id say about an inch diagonal.

I would say its me, but my fried who has been shooting for a while has the same problem, everyone who shots it notices this. So im not thinkin its me.

Just in case it is the rifling, how can this be repaired?

thanks, my uncle says its mine untill he shoots again. which wil be awhile

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You could try lower velocity ammo. That might lower the point of impact.

You could also get a new scope. Something more modern will probably have more range of adjustment.

6. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

i think the new scope might be it. My friendwas telling me that its probably geared for a different distance then what we are shooting. BEcause the effects are much less noticable at the 50yd range then the 25.