A&P Question about selling on CL v. not photo gear but OTAP'ers seem to know CL well

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Aug 23, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

First off, if asking a question about selling something unrelated to photography is a problem I'll delete the thread :hs: I could have just called it a camera, but I didn't want to bullshit you guys. . .

I'm selling a guitar, but I spend most of my time on OT in OTAP and don't hang out in the Backstage forum much anymore so I don't know if I'd get some necessary advice in time. Just from my lurking and occasional posting in OTAP, I've seen a few threads about CL scams so I was hoping I could get OTAP's input :x:

Here's a brief rundown of the situation:
    I listed one of my guitars on CL yesterday morning at a price that is probably a little high. I really don't want to part with it, but I could use some extra cash so I was just going to see if I got any offers I couldn't refuse. About 3 hours after the listing went up, I got one :hsd:

Email from "Chantz Mehal"
    Sent 3 pics of the guitar mid-afternoon yesterday, and then at about 5am this morning I got this reply:
    A lot of that just reeks of scam to me, but the fact that payment would be a check and I would get to cash it before shipping the guitar gives me a slight glimmer of hope. . .

Have any of you seen a scam like this before? I had some guy try to pull the paypal/ship to nigeria bullshit on me a few weeks ago when I listed my D40x, but I haven't seen or heard of a CL scam where a certified check is sent first and then a "shipper comes for pick up" :ugh: I'm using a work address if this actually goes through. . .

Thanks for the input :wavey:

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

scam total scam. see it almost everytime i sell shit

i always put these 3 things in my listing and ignore if people email asking about them

1) if ad is up, it's still for sale - don't email asking if it's for sale
    2) cash only
    3) in person only, and you come to me within 5mi of my house.... i'm not coming to you or shipping

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

also if you receive 20's 50's 100's... look in to the light for the water mark. i do it every time. you might get some asshole remark like "wow think they're fake?"

to which I reply no.... but i like to be sure because after all it's craigslist.

4. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Thanks for the info (both posts), that's exactly what I was looking for :bigthumb:

On the subject of fake bills, I sold some old subs on craigslist to a 16 year old kid who paid me with 1 $100 bill and 60 $1's :rofl: His dad brought him to pick them up, and was clearly trying to teach the kid how he should go about a transaction like that (at one point, the kid had one of the two subs and the dad said something like "Give the man his damn money before you start loading up whatcha bought!" :rofl:), so I didn't bother counting them all out in front of him. It could've been a bad idea, but in those circumstances I felt like I could trust him and, judging by the wad of cash, I wasn't going to be shorted much. I checked them when I was back in my car out of the rain though, and he was spot on.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

uggh 60 $1's... what a pain

no one really bothers faking a $1.

you can also buy a cheap pen to check bills. i believe it inks them brown if real

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Yeah, I knew faking $1's would just be a waste of time. Getting 60 of them wasn't a big deal though, I knew the kid had been working hard for his dad to slowly earn the cash so I didn't make a big deal of it. Plus when I put the $100 on the outside of the roll, I looked like a baller :hsugh: :rofl:

7. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

You should have asked if he was interested in also buying a brass pole. :rofl:

8. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

:rofl: His dad made another comment along the lines of "If I had that many $1's, I could tell ya where I'd be headed!"

Sadly, we went to an auto parts store with the cash instead :wtc:

9. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

it's a scam