GUN Question about seeing if I'd be approved

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pineapple Devil, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

as many of you probably remember i was arrested a year ago for felony reckelss endangerment for shooting a possum in my back yard. went to court and the case was suspended on an 11-29 with good behavior to be expunged in 1 year. basically saying the case would be pending for 1 year (no pleas at all) and if i didnt get into any trouble to have to bring the case back up, they'd let it go.

well the time passed, i got my gun back and the paperwork is getting signed today but the judge to expunge it (i go get my copy for proof tomorrow). the court clerk said it could take up to 3-4 months to have the arrest fully off my record b/c it goes from city to county to state along the way.

my question is since i never plead to the charge, never had a sentence, and the case was dropped and being expunged, how could i go about seeing if it is going to affect my buying ability now? that is w/o actually going through the process of buying a gun.

ive had 2 criminal background checks done w/i the year for school and a new job (clinical position in a hospital) and neither of them had any problems

2. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

Take this with a grain of salt cause we're from different states but i know someone who was in the same exact situation.

Sounds like you had a PBJ (probation before judgement) or something similar, where you weren't actually convicted, but put on some sort of probation. As long as you weren't convicted of the charges then you aren't a felon and should qualify to buy.

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:werd: don't think you were ever convicted, so it shouldn't show up at all.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i was never convicted b/c based on laws and court processes i'd had to make a plea and have court proceedings.

is the only real way to find out to try and buy a gun?

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I've never been arrested before, but I can relate for traffic violations. There were numerous tickets where they were set for deferral (probation) if I didn't get a same or similar ticket within 12 months. The tickets never hit my driving record and insurance never found out.

Since you never made a plea it should be okay, however, maybe the FBI or the background for purchasing a firearm may be able to see a pending case. Your best bet is to try.

6. chakup

chakup Guest

1) you were never convicted
    2) expunged basically in the courts eyes no crime occured- yes it will still always be there, but it's not.

You should be fine, but never know for sure until you try.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i just realized this but in order for me to find out if i'd pass or not i'd have to buy a gun locally which means high ass prices and taxes. if i were to buy something online and have it transferred to my ffl it'd suck to find out after buying it that i cant get it

8. Small Block LSX

Then stop breaking the law. :o

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:hsugh:

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

go to an ffl and tell them you want to buy a gun online but want to do the background check before you go through with it.

11. Small Block LSX

Oh, since when is shooting in your backyard within city limits legal anywhere? Unless you own a lot of land it is illegal.

The judge did you a favor so stop acting like you didn't do anything wrong.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

shut the fuck up. i never once said it was legal to do it, nor did i say that i didnt do anything wrong. i know that i did wrong hence me not having any problem with the way everything went down. thats not the question or the issue. the issue is your smart ass comment out of nowhere for a serious statment. i said it sucks to have to find out this way. end of story. your higher than mighty, sanctimonious platitude comment is the shit i'm talking about. quit acting like a fucking asshole

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

14. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah i'm going to do it this weekend. walmart has the cheap 10/22's so i'm going to try and get one of those