TAT question about script/words tattoo

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by untoastytoast, Oct 13, 2009.

1. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

so for my first tattoo i want to get a saying in old, fancy script on my chest. My question is this: does the artist i get really matter if i am only getting words instead of a picture? Obviuously i wont be getting it done in some basement and ill be going to a reputable shop, but would it actually make a huge difference to put up the big money for a really good artist?

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

3. Scold

Scold OT Supporter

In short... no. But if you go with a quality artist, they can sometimes add a few things that will make it really stand out. Like compare these two script tattoo's and tell me which one you like better. If you like the plain script, go to any trustworthy artist, but if you like the decorated one, go to someone with a little more talent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

5. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

I would say you dont need someone world class, but make sure the artist has decent linework. Always look at their portfolio and decide for yourself. (If they dont have one then that is a great indicator as to the quality of their work)

6. Lucien

Lucien Guest

Better artists have better lines, which is hugely important for script.

Don't cheap out.

7. TWG

TWG New Member

i say yes...probably more important to have someone who knows what he/she is doing. why settle for second best when that shit is gonna be there for EVER!!!! especially with script because you dont want the spacing and letters to be all fucked up...

unless you want to be part of the fucked up script tattoo crew :uh:

8. wokkawokkawokka

wokkawokkawokka New Member

wording is very difficult to get right, saving yourself some bucks now could equal costing yourself more in the future

Search for "bj Betts lettering" this is a 3 volume series just on lettering styles and fontwork

A good artist will give you crisp flowing lines, using quality ink that doesn't fade to blue or green later in life

A crap artist (whether in a shop or not) will have blowouts, shakey lines and ink that blobs out and turns green or fades away in a few years

Every artist has their style, ask to see their portfolio, and choose one that has done detailed work, as there is more to fancy old script than you would believe.

9. Memor

Memor Active Member

It definitely matters, any kind of curved script lines need a steady/experienced hand. You don't want fucked up script on your body.

10. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

so i visited a studio today that i was pretty pleased with, it was extremely clean and the staff there was really nice and very helpful. I asked specifically about getting the script tattoo i wanted done, and the artist there said he could do it no problem for $150. I want to get it on the right part of my chest.

My question is this: Maybe i'm being too anal now about quality, but i looked through the artist's portfolio and to me the quality seemed pretty good and the lines were all good and whatnot. but i want to get your guys' opinons, do these tattoos look good quality wise? (ignore the idea behind them)

http://ladyluckink.com/artwork/421490_King.html

http://ladyluckink.com/artwork/29542_Money_Over_Players.html

http://ladyluckink.com/artwork/29316_Memorial_Cross.html

http://ladyluckink.com/artwork/421734_2Pac.html

11. Lucien

Lucien Guest

Those look average at best. I'd keep looking.

12. wokkawokkawokka

wokkawokkawokka New Member

Pic 1
    Hard to tell as you can still see the stencil

Pic 2
    Rushed, no real flow

Pic 3
    A little cartoonish, but good execution

Pic 4
    Must have sold a few of these crosses eh?
    Again, a little rushed, varying letter height and spacing

Don't worry about being too anal, at the end of the day, it's your skin