question about ruined paint jobs

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Mycophiles, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have a 97 Mark VIII that has the clear coat coming off. It's my 2nd mark VIII and 3rd ford that has had the same problem. I haven't decided if I want to pay to get it painted but in the meantime I was thinking about buffing it.

Since buffers are around 80$ and I don't want to buy one I was wondering if I could use a multispeed drill. If you didn't know you can buy drill bits that have pads on the end for buffing (like your car headlights and such). Anyone know if this is a good/bad idea.

Hopefully you aren't all elitists and say "bad idea what are you thinking idiot" without any real information or knowledge on the subject. :p

2. seismic

seismic New Member

"bad idea what are you thinking idiot"

Polishing is the act of REMOVING paint to erase defects. How will removing paint solve your problem of too little paint?

A multispeed drill is going to be a rotary. This means is spins in a continuous circle. With rotaries, if you don't know what you're doing, you can easily burn through paint.

A random orbit polisher is what you'd want to look if you're an amateur, and that is going to do absolutely nothing for clear coat failure.

The only solution is to re-paint if you want to fix it.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Clearcoat peeling off doesn't have a detailing solution, it has a repainting solution. /thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.