Question about routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by exxoizzle, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exxoizzle

exxoizzle Free mustache rides

I used to do a full body(excluding legs) workout alternating with a leg workout every day. My stepbrother has recently started coming with me to the gym but he tells me its better to isolate body parts per day ie. chest/tri's, bi's/upper back, sholders, legs. But my concern is, dosent it seem like too long an interval (3 days) before working out the same body part again, it seems not as productive, building muscle wise, as working out the whole upperbody every other day. So....am I wrong?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

read the stickies... you are wrong

3. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

I believe ceaze posted some studies showing that frequent muscle stimulation (full body routines) were more effective for muscle growth/strength than intense but infrequent muscle stimulation (body part routines).

So, no offense to maine, but I'd be inclined to agree with the thread starter.

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I read a T-nation article that said the mass gains were basically identical and train how you like to train.

Also, if you REALLY want to hit all the muscles you need to hit to get a really "pretty" body, it's almost impossable to do unless you do bodypart splits.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

It is true that full body routines with a focus on compound movements build more overall mass, but not when you do them every day.

6. cls

T-nation isn't exactly the most reliable site. They contradict themselves quite a bit and usually rely on the author's opinion rather than peer-reviewed studies. For example:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459469

Can you post a link to the article? Some of the article are supported by studies, I'd be curious to see if that's one of them.

I don't think this is true unless you're really far along in your training. I mean, I throw some curls, abs, and calf raises into my full body routine, but that's about it. I don't think you need to spend hours doing lateral raises, shrugs, pec flys, etc.

7. cls

Why not? What happens if you do them every day (adjusting your volume so you don't overtrain, of course)?

8. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'd work:

Front delts
    Medial delts
    Rear Delts
    Traps
    Biceps
    Triceps
    Gluts+Quads
    Lats
    Back
    Lower Back
    Chest
    Abs
    Hamstrings
    Calves

Even here I feel if I did one exercise for each other these, i wouldn't be able to hit the larger muscle groups in different ways to effect their growth and the volume would be so tiny for me to be able to not kill my body.

If you just focus on compound lifts to build mass, like Maina said, that makes more sense to me.

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I looked for the article and gave up in like 10 seconds haha. I do agree with you about T-nation being suspect, but so are lots of other sources on the net. It's really crazy how much conflicting information is out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.