MIL question about ROTC

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by flytojungho, Sep 19, 2005.

1. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

currently, my school offers army ROTC but not navy ROTC. Major that runs the ROTC sent me a mail saying that it doesn't matter what branch of ROTC I take during college. He basically said that I can take army ROTC and still be comissioned as a NAVAL officer upon graduating school. Is this true? or is he bullshitting me?(I think it's BS) I want all the benefits that ROTC offers but I DO NOT want to join the army but instead I want to join the navy as a comissioned officer since I am prior navy enlisted. Anyone have any input in this matter? :x:

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

pretty sure if you opt for the benefits like scholarship, you go in the branch of the ROTC.

if you can deal w/ not getting the benefits like stipend/whatnot, just do OCS route after college in the navy.

3. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

iv heard that before
    that you can accept the commission of any branch of the military

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I was given the option to go to ROTC, even though it was Army- like your situation. However, my commission was for the Corps.

5. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

so you're saying that you went through army ROTC but received commissioning through marine?

6. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

kids do that at my school. they collect the yearly army checks of about 950 bills for freshman and sophomore year. the army rotc dept will ditch u junior year if you aren't contracted or on a commisioning path however.

the ocs route is probably what you'd have to do if you decided to go navy after college

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

No, I had the option to go through Army ROTC which would apply towards the Marine Corps.

8. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

That might be the way it is at your school but certainly not for all ROTC programs... at A&M by your junior year you decide if you are going to get your commission, if you do you go through the warrior program, otherwise you can stay in ROTC but just go the D&C route. Nobody gets ditched.

9. Nixstress

Yes, I've seen this done through small ROTC programs that do not have all 3 branches offered.

10. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

i heard that they let you go if you do not receive any benefits from being in ROTC by your junior year.. like scholarship.

11. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

They won't kick you out of the ROTC program if you don't contract by your Junior year. They will just stop paying the bills, and you'll have to pay them back.

12. Nixstress

Again, I can't speak for all ROTC programs but through A&M you can stay in your junior and senior year and be designated D&C and not have to get your commission upon graduation. Same goes for the Band.

13. Nixstress

Pay your bills? :hsugh: