Question about replacing tires:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Stilgar1973, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Here are the facts:
    9 months ago I had 4 new tires put on my car.
    I drive 80 miles a day 4 days a week. (just to give an idea of how much wear the tires have had)

Today I am driving to work and I run over something.
    20 miles later my front right tire blows. I pull over and look at it - it is shreded. A total mess.

When I ran over whatever I ran over I got the distinct impression that both my front right and my rear right tires hit the object.

I looked at my rear right tire and it looks fine.

Here are the questions:

I have heard people recomend that you always replace tires in pairs. I am having a hard time stomaching that I have to replace both my front left (which didn't hit anything) and my front right tire. Is there anyone here that would actually say to me that I can get away with replacing only one tire?

About that rear right tire. I can't see anything wrong with it. Is there anyone that wouldn't trust it? Is there anything wrong with asking the shop to replace the rear right tire but to move it to the front of the car?
    In other words what is now the front left tire wouldn't be replaced, but it would be switched to the rear right.
    Would this be bad?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

don't know why this is in detail, but ok.

if i did the math right, you have already put about 11,500 miles on these tires. that can be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/6 tread life of a tire. so you'll have one that is brand new, and 3 that have some tread worn away. I'd go ahead and do 2 tires, but that's just me

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

It is in here because I don't normally post in these forums. I see subforums about American cars, Japenese cars and other stuff, but nothing seems to fit 'general car maintenece'. I figured this sub was as good as any of the others.

What about my second question:
    I replace 2 tires - but the two I replace are both on the right side of the car. So I take what used to be the front left tire and move it to the rear left tire.
    Is there anything wrong with doing this?

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

nah, shouldn't be a big deal, as long as you don't have directional tires. and if you do (normally "z" rated tires are directional) make sure that whoever does it has all of the tires moving in the proper direction. if they are just normal uni-directional tires, then proper rotation would move two front tires to the opposite rear tire anyway.

5. i need slicks

i need slicks New Member

What kind of car do you have? If its awd, then all 4 must be the same size. If its rwd, then the rears must be the same size. You can get away with slightly different (new/old but same size) in the fronts but it may slightly pull to one side. And vice versa for fwd.

6. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. silverstangs™

silverstangs™ New Member

I've always replaced tires in Pairs... even the rotors too... Now if it's a beater car... then I don't....

I normally keep a couple sets of spare tire/wheel combos at my place anyways.