SRS Question about rent/lease situation with friend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by OhHai, Jul 21, 2009.

1. OhHai

OhHai New Member

So almost two months ago, I moved into a friends apartment because he was having difficulty with his room mate not paying rent and I needed a place to stay for a few months anyway, so I took him on his offer. Now, a little backstory: I have known this guy for almost 4 years and is a good friend of mine. Me, him, and 2 other friends are also moving in together at the end of the month because that is when his lease is up, hence why I figured I would live with him for the last few months of his lease. Now the lease is up at the end of the month, but he failed to mention to the office that we were moving out at the end of the month, and they require at least 60 days notice. Unfortunately, he missed the deadline and they will be charging us to live there until August 16th. We are all moving into our new house on August 1st, and that means we will be paying 2 rent checks to 2 different places. He has asked me if I could chip a few hundred for the rent for our current house, but cash is really tight for me, and because I was not there when he signed the lease and knew nothing of having to inform the office we were not renewing our lease, and have only been here 2 months I am conflicted about paying him. But on the other hand, he is a good friend of mine and I don't want to fuck him over :hs:. I guess in retrospect I live there now so it should be my responsibility to pay anyway, right? While typing this I feel I should just pay him... was just looking for some opinions I guess :hs:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

I'd say "Hey, I'm sorry man, but I don't have the money. I'm really sorry but I figured my finances around living here until (date) and then moving to the new place, so I don't have the cash."

He fucked himself over by not knowing the rules for moving out of his place. It sucks, and it might make for some hard feelings from him, but it's not your bill.

Think of it this way.....they need 60 days notice. You've lived there for 2 months. He should have given them notice right about when you moved in. You think you should pay the late fee for something he should have done way back then??

3. OhHai

OhHai New Member

Yeah, that is exactly my stance on the situation, and if it were any random person then I would do that. It is just difficult though because he is a good friend of mine, and I dont want to make for any hard feelings next year, since we will be living together again.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

So you're willing to pay a bill that's not yours, and that you had no way of avoiding?

You didn't see the lease, you didn't sign the lease, you didn't have any knowledge of the rules for moving out.........basically he's saying "I made a mistake so you should help me pay."

It's rough, but I'll tell you what. If that was me and my friend moved in, I wouldn't have asked him to help with the bill.

5. OhHai

OhHai New Member

Yeah, that is true. In his defense, he didn't outright ask me. He said he knew it wasn't my fault.. I guess I just felt obligated to since I lived there. But your last comment makes a very good point.

6. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

It's his lease and it's his responsibility to know the terms of the lease. You moved in there under him, and he knew when you were moving in and out. You had no way of knowing about any of the terms on the lease or fees as a result. Bottom line, it is not your debt to pay.