Question about RAM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by farrelly, Nov 27, 2006.

1. farrelly

farrelly New Member

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a RAM question. Right now in my computer i have 1 512mb chip and 2 256mb chips. I just ordered a 1gb chip from newegg and my friend told me that its important to pair chips. The RAM is DDR PC 2100 and i can't find any info on whether or not they have to be paired and what problems could arise if they weren't.

I also ordered a gig chip for my mom's computer which only has 256mb of DDR SDRAM pc 3200 ram right now. I got the 1 gig chips in case i want to upgrade them later but didn't have enough money to get 2 pairs of gig chips for the 2 computers.

So will it cause me any problems to have 1.768gb of ram in 3 different chip sizes? and 1.256gb in 2 sizes?

2. Island Dog

Island Dog New Member

I have never heard of any big problems associated with non-matching RAM. The only problems I have ever heard of are people doing it on iMacs.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The mismatched memory will probably work. But, if your motherboard supports dual-channel, the memory won't operate in the faster dual-channel mode.

4. farrelly

farrelly New Member

But it will still operate normally as if it weren't dual channel. i'm running dual monitors so its been a little choppy at times but i think having 1.768gb will be plenty. thanks for your help

5. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

You should be alright. Every where you go to buy RAM goes on a soapbox talking about how things need to match. I have NEVER ran into a problem with mismatched RAM chips.

6. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

If the order hasn't shipped yet, you might see if you can "upgrade" to faster RAM. My computer came with PC2100, but I just replaced it with PC3200.

All computers that were spec'd for 2100 can also run 2400, 2700, and 3200. I found that the PC3200 was a good bit cheaper than the PC2100 replacements.

Also found this...

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?
    A:
    DDR memory with support for DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 speeds.
    Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

7. farrelly

farrelly New Member

damn i didn't know you could mix them. well when they come i'll put the 2100 in my mom's computer and the 3200 in mine.

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

That only makes sense if yours operates at PC3200 speeds. If it came with PC2100 modules it is doubtful that it will take advantage of anything faster. It would really help to know the computer's model number and/or chipset.

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So it can take faster RAM or slower RAM than what it came with? It seems like both were said in this thread.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Your top speed of ram is goverened by this - in order:

a) The ability of the motherboard to run the ram at its advertised speed (check your motherboard specs - you may also be able to upgrade the BIOS in order to increase this speed if there has been an update to your chipset)
    b) The SLOWEST piece of ram in your computer

Dual channel ram must be used in one pair or two - you cannot dual channel in one pair and have misc crap in the other. It also has to be the same type and speed - which is why you will see ram sold in pairs

RAM can slow down, it can't speed up.

When all is said and done - makes no fucking difference. You will never notice the difference between 2 gigs of dual channel ram, and 2 gigs of non dual channel.

Oh, and your ram increase won't help your dual monitors.

11. farrelly

farrelly New Member

well the computer came with pc 2100 so i guess i'll just throw that chip in there. its plenty fast right now with the gig i have its just when i have a song playing in itunes and then open another program or large webpage the song will skip for a few seconds. i assume an increase in ram will help that.