Question about punching/boxing

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by romostud22, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Hey guys!

So I've been training now for about six months and I love it and enjoy it being part of my lifestyle. I wanna learn how to box/fight/punch and have some form while doing it. I don't want to get into martial arts...yet, but i do want to have some basic punching routines/patterns down. Do you guys know of any guides online that can help me out with that? I bought some punching mitts and gloves so that my friend and i can train together (he holds mitts while i punch). But I don't want to go to the gym and start punching the mitts and look like a retard slapping my bros hand. I looked online and all I found was this:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/2985_boxing-training.htm

What do you guys think? Any good? or do you guys have any other suggestions?

Cliffs: I wanna know how to punch well and with force.

2. 3x

3x New Member

What have you been doing for 6 months?

3. synthetic

synthetic New Member

go to an actual boxing gym for 3 months or so 1-2x a week, then once you have the basics embedded train on your own

4. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3981672&page=4
    Lifting/cardio/eatingright.

I'm not sure if you would know the answer to this question but would people there train me? or would I have to pay for a trainer and whatnot? do you have any experience in one?

I found this http://www.tqfc.com/ which is close to me.....

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Generally when you join a boxing gym someone will train you.

6. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

You can do alot of drills with focus pads. If you don't want to look silly you will need to learn good form with all 6 punches and footwork. Then you can start doing combination drills with the pads. You can add defensive movements into it like parrys and slipping and ducking and stuff too. You can mix up body shots and head shots, put pivots and movements into the drills. It can simulate a real fight and you can practice for speed working every major skill.

Go on youtube or google and search for "combination drills" or "focus pads" youll find lots of info.

7. TracerBullet

When you know a bunch of combinations the trainer call them out on the fly as you work the pads so you have to think on your feet.

8. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Ohh, okay thank you!

I'll do that when I get home from work today. Thanks man I really appreciate it. I just don't want to do something and have it be with improper form you know?

9. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

you have a new goal every 3 weeks, usually 180 degrees from your last goal. What happened to the running a 5k thing?

10. TracerBullet

11. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

whoever said go to a actual boxing gym for a few months has a great idea. they will show you technique and the basics and u can go from there. My friend took the same course and said he wouldnt have gone for any longer then getting basics down

12. TracerBullet

Yeah, it's hard to be sure your form is good unless there's someone to tell you, but once you know it's a matter of practice and repetition.

13. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

4cd-air. I'm still doing the couch to 5k thing! :) I love it! But that's only 3 days a week. The other 3 days I wann do a boxing/punching pattern thing

14. Fattiefalldown

Fattiefalldown t(-.-t)

One of the best combinations to start with is the left-right-left hook. Keep throwing that into the pads for 90 seconds, then switch sides for another 90 secs. 1 minute rest between rounds. Nothing can pass up etting actual lessons at a boxing gym. You may not get a trainer right off, but members generally tend to be helpful and would be willing to give you advice if you ask them when they're not busy.

15. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

lol bobby. I do that too. I do the stretch & abs one once a day. Rotating of course. One day I stretch, and one day I abs.

16. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

thanks! i think i'll just go there for a month or two to get some techniques down and then train by myself.

It's not really changing, just adding more stuff. Right now I'm lifting six days a week/ doing the couch to 5k thing three days a week, and doing the ab and stretch thing two-three times a week. Not that I don't like the p90x program, but I'd get more out of boxing/punching instead of it I think.

Anddd thank you thank yoU! :)

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Go to a gym for a week to get the basics down. Or even a month. It's not a big deal if you look bad. Everyone is expected to look bad in the beginning because there is nothing natural about boxing. It's all technique and different coaches will teach you different mechanics. After awhile you'll find out what works for you.

18. mandrew

mandrew New Member

definitely go to a boxing gym for a while. Then just get a heavy bag for home and practice combos. Don't expect to learn any real applicable skill cause unless you train for a long time it won't be second nature... especially if you aren't doing consistent sparring.

My theory is just get really strong then you won't need to have fighting skills, you can just tear people apart like a silverback gorilla

19. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

lifting six days
    5k training three days
    P90x two or three days

= 11 or 12 days a week?

20. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

lol nonono! :(:( I'm sorry bro. I should have clarified. My bad!

S rest day
    M chest day/5k daay
    T back day/ p90 stretch or abs
    W legs day/ 5k day
    T chest day/ p90 stretch or abs
    F back day/ 5k day
    S legs day/ p90 stretch or abs.

I want to replace the p90 with the boxing routine. Not that I don't like it, it's just, I'd prefer a boxing thing, and I kinda do wanna know how to throw a punch just in case.

21. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Well, my goal is to eventually (once I get a routine down and know what I'm doing), get a a bag and use that when my broseph can't come to the gym with me. He's on the same lifting schedule as i am tho, so it works out well. He wants to get into this too, so I will have a sparring partner.

22. posit

posit New Member

Plenty of MMA gyms offer a boxing class. You might be able to find a boxing gym that does the same. Just make sure it's a real boxing class like most MMA gyms offer, not a cardio boxing class. No one says you have to do the other portions. Although if your trying to lose weight, its a damn effective method.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  23. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

If you learn to punch by yourself you may develop bad habits and its harder to unlearn a bad habit than it is to start from the beginning.

24. lat125

lat125 OT Supporter

fwiw i went to boxing classes at team quest several years ago and would really recommend them (at least from what i remember). great people and instructors for all levels, so don't be worried about knowing next to nothing prior to going. my only complaint was there wasn't any light sparring in those classes, but if you're mainly looking for the techniques/workout it should be great for you.

25. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Thanks! I think I might go there this week and see what they have and see if they have any info for me! lol, no disrespect what-so-ever but man, 2005 with 17 posts? That's wicked insane! Still, thanks for the info tho! I appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.