A&P Question about printing digital photographs...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by red^star, Feb 11, 2004.

1. red^star

red^star Guest

I have a canon powershot S50 and I generally take my pictures at 1600x1400 then resize them to 800x600. I would like to print some of my photography, matte, and frame it for some personal touch to my room, but I do not know how big I can print an 800x600 photo out without it looking like shit.

Is there some kind of rule of thumb for the size of the picture and how big you can print it? I would like them to be like about 20 inches by 16 inches or whatever...

Comments? :hs:

2. red^star

red^star Guest

Oh and also....

Do photos that are photoshopped end up looking good when printed?

I do some heavy photoshopping on my pictures and I was wondering if they would come out good quality.

3. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

4. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

You should always keep your original, unprocessed (photoshopped) image files in a repository/archive/burnt onto DVD/CD in case you ever want to get them printed...

And yes, photoshopped images will look fine, as long as you save them at a high quality level (that 1-12 quality slider bar you get when saving files) and make sure you don't lose information to any extra compression.

Also take your photos in tiff or raw if you want to make big prints with them, so you get all the information in the file and don't lose anything to jpeg compression.

5. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

if you work in photoshop, always save as a .PSD if you are going to print, you lose nothing quality wise

800 x 600 would be good for maybe a 4x6

6. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

7. J-Man_F4i

J-Man_F4i Guest

8.5x11 should look great with your camera.
    take pictures at the highest resolution possible, I hope you have a larger cf card.

I have an s400, lexar 256mb 12x cf card. and print pics on an Epson c80.
    8.5x11 look good.

8. red^star

red^star Guest

I have a 256mb card too but I really want poster sized prints :sad2:

9. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

Buy a 35mm camera :hs:

10. red^star

red^star Guest

I really should :hs: I don't know how to shoot with 35 millimeters though. I learned on manual mode on my canon and I've gotten pretty good considering I've only had it 5 months. What's the difference in shooting with 35 millimeters? I actually have to get those pictures printed, correct?

11. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Shoot at the highest resolution possible. If you want to do 8x10's and 4x6's at home, I REALLY suggest you get an HP 7960. I absolutely love mine. The prints are clear, crisp, and VERY 35mm quality. Works as a standalone unit as well.

12. J-Man_F4i

J-Man_F4i Guest

if you have a good printer and some photoshop expirience you could try and
    break up a picture into blocks of 3x3 or 6x6, each block with a ratio of 8.5x11.

or take your file to a poster shop and see what the print looks like,
    it may be pixlated to some degree.
    it would look better on images with not much detail, like a sunset for example.

hard to beat slide film for poster size prints.

13. redna

redna New Member

If you would have kept your pics at original size you could have printed up to your desired size... My pics started as 2592X1944 and i printed a [email protected] dpi.... The trick is to enlarge the pic at 15% at a time..