A&P Question about pricing on some graphic design work

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Feb 16, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

A friend's uncle is wanting me to design a logo/sign for his company, as well as a design for shirts and business cards based off of the logo. He's wanting to base the logo off of photos he's having me take.

I've done some graphic design in the past, but I've never really been "hired" (aka paid) for my work. I've been thinking of a few different designs and I'm confident that I'll come up with something that he's very happy with, but I have no idea how much this kind of work is worth.

I'll likely be "credited" the value of my work (he's renting a 1200 sq ft mechanic shop to me and whatever I'm paid will likely just be put towards rent), but I have no idea how much I should be looking for here.

I'm sure the value of my work depends on how complex the logo ends up being, but could any of you with experience in this area give me some kind of idea on pricing? I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers at this point, once I get a few preliminary designs I'll post them up. I just don't want to waste my time out shooting photos and designing all this if the pay is crap :hs:

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

you logo should be impactful, not complex.The best logos ever are some of the simplest designs

3. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I should have phrased that differently. I was referring more to how complex/time consuming the design work itself would be, not the actual design.

After talking with him and throwing out some ideas, it looks like I'll be taking a pano of our downtown skyline in silhouette and probably doing a faux-painting or otherwise manipulating in PS to simplify the lines/colors enough that the image isn't too busy or distracting. That should also make it simple enough for him to have shirts embroidered with the logo.

I'm sure it sounds like a horrible design, but the panoramic image is going to be fairly small. He wants his logo based off of this:
    [​IMG]

Sorry the image is tiny, but it should give you a general idea. Once again, it was his request that I use that as a basis for my design. I'm hoping I can change things enough to make it into a decent company logo without my 'client' thinking I strayed too much from his requests.

If I can come up with an idea for pricing, I'll probably offer to take care of all their stationary/business cards/shirts/etc. He also mentioned that he might have me paint the design on their storefront window :dunno:

I'm just doing whatever the hell the client wants. I'll advise him against things if I disagree, but its ultimately his decision. I'm just trying to make a few bucks during the semester and take advantage of the chance to be a little creative. Engineering courses are taking their toll on me, I need a chance to design something that isn't load-bearing :rofl:

4. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I met with the guy today and got his input on one of my designs, we ended up changing a few things and came up with:

[​IMG]

That would be the front of his business card, and he wants the signs/shirts/stationary based off that design as well.

Any opinions?

I don't know exactly how the printing process goes on business cards, but I'd like to have "Martin Estimating" glossy and the blue background as like a semi-gloss printed onto flat gray card stock.

I had to add a few floors to the building on the right, I still need to clean up one of the areas where I added some height.

*edit* I also just saw that I need to clean up the random blue areas that are creeping in along the bottom edge.

5. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

I'd lose all the 1990 bevels and the photo filter is kind of amateur looking.

Decide how long it will take you and multiply by how much you think you are worth / hour. Pretty simple. I don't know too much about print but when you get all crazy with different types of finishes on bcards it can get a little pricey.

6. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I'd take the colour right out of that. Make the blue white and clear up the edges of the buildings, maybe just run a light blur brush over them in PS.

Then reduce the opacity of the text by ~10% to make it just stand out above the images. The number looks okay though.

7. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I agree about the bevels and the filter. I think the bevels helped make the text "pop" on the digital image, but I don't think they will be necessary when printed. Any advice on how to get better results from the skyline image? I have Photoshop CS, and I may be able to get access to CS3.

I'd estimate that I've spent 5-6 hours on this design so far, with the majority of that time being spent taking photos of the skyline and meeting with the client. He wants me to go look into printing options/prices, so that will take at least a couple of hours as well.

I don't know if I should include those hours in my estimate or not. . .if he hired a marketing company or professional graphic designer I'm sure they'd already know all of that information, but at the same time he'd probably being paying a much higher price.

Then again, my designs aren't exactly top-notch :hs:

8. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Are you suggesting that I leave the buildings light gray on a white background? I actually have a psd of it like that already, but I don't have the text in that image. I was debating what color (and possibly effect) to use on the text. I know he wanted color in the logo and he liked the blue, so I may try making the text blue and filling the inside with the background color :dunno:

9. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I removed the blue and the client didn't like the white background, but when I made it backed by a dark gray he loved it and sent me to kinkos :bigthumb: The dark gray looks almost black when printed but he was happy with them even then.

As far as payment, he just said "I really appreciate you doing this for me and I love the design. Keep helping me out with stuff like this every once in awhile and the shop is yours, just pay for your own electricity." :bowdown:

I'm also in the process of taking my high-speed photography to the next level (in other words, higher-speed) by building my own microflash, and the shop is going to be the perfect place to shoot watermelon with a 12ga :hsugh:

10. aCab

aCab New Member

i dont like that card at all.

11. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Yeah I meant white background. I just like to keep things simple.

Did you use a filter to get those buildings like that? The edges are very rough. I'd probably take a pen tool to the original and build up gradients of gray instead to get it how I want it. It would take longer but I think the results would be much better.

I guess it doesn't matter now though 'cause the guy liked it.