Question about PDAs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CaseGreen, Oct 15, 2003.

1. CaseGreen

CaseGreen ...watching people die can make you feel so alive. OT Supporter

Please forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about PDAs, I have never used one before. But I was thinking of getting one, and I have probably a pretty stupid question. Can you like get the web and browse sites and check e-mail on one? I mean like anywhere. Like say I'm sitting in my car in a parking lot, can I just get on the web check my e-mail?, browse the news? read OT? :o

Do you have to pay like a service fee a month for the access? Where do you get the service at, is it like a cell phone? Is this even possible?

2. TylerTX

TylerTX :noes:

Dammit, I just wrote you a long reply and then the offtopic site screwed up and now it's gone.

So, now I don't feel like retyping it and i'll give you the short version. Yes, you can surf the net with a pocket pc, but its not that easy or convenient. You have to set it up for the specific network which you are connecting to, to surf, which is not that easy, and secondly the screen is so small that most web pages do not fit all on it , meaning you have to scroll around to see them which get s annoying. Also most places that have networks will not let you connect for free. You have to be part of the network such as home, your business, or your school, or the airport. So, basically unless you have a pda with a wireless card and are within range of a transmitter that you have access to, then you cant just surf the net.

3. thomyi

thomyi I need to B my L on someone's T's.... OT Supporter

alot of the new palms are coming out with a landscape mode so the whole webpage can fit on the screen. I did also read that sprint is going to start offering a compact flash air card so you can browse web sites on the 3G network, but it's expensive and only slightly faster thatn dial up.