Question about Operating Systems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CrudeGT, Dec 30, 2003.

1. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

I just got a computer for Xmas, I'm going to be upgrading the hell out of it, right now it was a freeby gift from a friend that was thrown together with left over parts, but it's a start for me.

My question right now is about OS's other than microsoft. I have never really been a fan of theirs, and would love to put my money somewhere else if I can, and still get all the goods.

The only things I would be using the computer for would be the internet, downloading stuff (through kazaa most likely) and playing games every now and then, like Diablo 2 and War Craft 3, etc...

I am looking for an OS that would be not too difficult to understand and use, and would be able to support movies, music, games, and internet. I think the problem I will come into a lot would be games like Diablo and War Craft are only programmed to run on Mac or Windows, as far as I know. Is there a way around this?

Basically, what are the other OS's out there, like Linux, or delgian, etc.. and would any other them be good for what I would need, just the stuff listed above? or would I better off staying with Windows?

2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

If you are playing games, Windows is your only option. Or you could run Linux, just config it, check the versions, recompile the kernal with WINE... OK, just stick to Windows...

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you have to ask, stick with Windows. (Or get Mac.)

4. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

That's probably the best answer I'll get.

If you guys don't mind asking, what are the pro's of using other systems, like linux?

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

linux is free, very stable, and if you know how to configure it, extremely fast

however if you want a gaming box, and you aren't really conversant with linux, i would stick with windows

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, what he said. Linux is extremely stable, very customizable, and free. However, it's not for n00bs (yet), and your familiar Windows programs won't run on it (although there are equivalents for a lot of them).

Win XP Pro isn't half bad anyway.

7. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

8. Orgazmo

Orgazmo Guest

Windows XP Pro is the best thing to ever come to the PC. It might still have a few problems but it's still the best damn thing Microsoft has ever made.

9. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

[Un]fortunately, this is true.

10. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

Its definitely best thing by microsoft although their office products are also stellar but I dunno that its the best thing to ever happen to the PC tho, thats going to depend

id have to say that compatibility wise and installation wise though microsoft definitely improved everything 100x's with hardware detection etc with XP

11. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

2003 .NET blows XP out of the water. But it's a little pricy for most people :)