Question about oil change

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by lickaclick, Feb 16, 2005.

1. lickaclick

lickaclick Guest

I have a 2002 Honda Accord and i have a question about the kind of oil to put in it. Will it damage the car if i put 10W-30 in it? instead of 5W-20???

2. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Of course not.
    How many miles do you have on it?

3. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

lighter oil is some times better, mostly if its cold tho

4. Cuidado

Cuidado New Member

^ this guy

5. lickaclick

lickaclick Guest

so 10w30 is ok?

Whats the difference between 10w30 and 5w20?
    Do i have to keep using 10w30 from now on?

6. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

5w20 is lighter oil than the 10w30 and no u dont have to keep useing the same oil. its kinda like useing 87 gas Vs 91 you dont have to use any kind (if ur car uses 87) but can use any kind

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

5W-20= 5W when cold, 20W when hot. designed to be thinner at cold for easy start up pumping and increased initial startup protection.

10W-30= 10W when cold, 30W when hot. a good all climate oil, suited for ambient temperatures under 95 degrees F. if your daily temps avg over 95 degrees for long periods of time, go with a 10W-40 for increased higher temperature protection.

the higher rating (second number) is the viscosity at operating temperature... oils get thinner when they get hot. engine oils are formulated to prevent thinning, and are rated by their flow rate or viscosity.

5W-20 is a pretty thin oil, but any motor will work fine with a 30 weight oil... newer motors benefit more from a multiviscosity oil like 5W-30 or 10W-30 for increased startup protection.

Honda and Ford have switched over to 5W-20 oil as a "trick" to increase their MPG ratings. 20 weight at operating temp is obviously thinner than 30 weight. the reduced viscosity results in less friction (parts moving through oil, not between parts) and less oil tends to "stick" tot he parts. this reduces rotating mass and friction, resulting in increased efficiency at the risk of high temp protection should you live in a very warm climate.

so all in all, any of the following weights will work just fine, and will not in any way void your warranty (if you have one): 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50. these are the most commonly recommended for high rpm, low displacement motors.

8. lickaclick

lickaclick Guest

wow very useful info. thanx for the help

9. Clix

Clix New Member

So in Texas the avg. temp varies with season. I know in Dallas in the summer it can hit as high as 110 for a period of time in the summer and as low as the teens in thw winter. Would my car benfit more if I changed the weight of the oil depending on the weather? 5w-20w int he winter and 10w-30w in the Summer?