Question about NuvaRing

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by squishypets, Dec 7, 2007.

1. squishypets

squishypets New Member

Ok so I put in a new ring on Sunday. It's been 5 days total that I had it in. Well today, the condom broke and I was wondering if the NuvaRing is effective enough that I don't need any Plan B pills. It says 7 days is recommended for it to be in, but is 5 days ok?

2. kiri

kiri New Member

is it the first time you've had it in or have you been using nuvaring for a while?

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Why not be extra safe and get the Plan B pill?

4. squishypets

squishypets New Member

I've used the ring since July. I don't have anymore Plan B pills I get for free from my clinic and they're closed Friday-Sunday. Does anyone know where I can get them cheap? They're $85 in the store. That's too much.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

Out of Plan B pills that you got from the clinic?? Umm, how many have you used? :ugh:

And you can go to Planned Parenthood and get one for like $45 usually.

6. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

Each box is only one use.

7. squishypets

squishypets New Member

Each box only has 2 pills and they tell u to take them both at the same time. So it's not like a box gives you like 30 pills or w/e...its only 2 you use all at once..its stupid. and I get them free from Planned Parenthood, but their clinic is closed Friday-Sunday, so I can't get any and it's $85 in stores.

8. Pringles

Pringles New Member

then have a child.

Sorry, but honestly you need to be told that. Buy the god damn things for $85 bucks and save 50% of your net worth to a kid because you can't fork out $85 for your lack of intelligence in fucking.

To me it sounds like you have another personal problem with how you have sex with others and the lack of protection you engage in. I'd do some reading.

9. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

plan B isnt an alternate form of bc though, you shouldnt just be using them whenever you feel like it. I would say that if the nuvaring says its effective through 7 days, you can trust it through 7 days, otherwise you shouldn't be relying on it at all. Maybe you need to try a different form of bc, like the pill or the patch or condoms

10. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Like everyone else has said, shell out the $85 bucks. It's not like we're talking about a trivial manner. Maybe you shouldn't be having sex if the consequences are something that you cannot afford? :dunno: I mean, it's nice to have a back up "just in case" something happens mistakenly, but it doesn't sound like it's your first time in this situation :hsugh:

I'm sorry. I've just never been able to comprehend those who take bc lightly. I'm still scared shitless of having a child and I'm 22. That's been motivation enough right there to willingly and religiously be on some form of bc for the last 7 years.

11. squishypets

squishypets New Member

No, they were accidents, not because I was 'taking BC lightly'. We're just wondering if it's safe that it's been 5 days instead of 7 and don't bother spending the $85 if it's fine anyway. That's all I'm asking. And they've only given me 2 boxes before. Both were accidents cuz of the cheap condoms they gave me. After this, we're waiting till the 7 days are up to do anything.

12. squishypets

squishypets New Member

Ok to clear up some confusion with NuvaRing, here's how it works: You put in a ring and wear it for 3 weeks. The first week you have it in, it's supposed to release the hormones you need so that the 2nd and 3rd week, you can do unprotected if you wanted to. You take it out the 4th week to have your period or whatever..Well, since you're supposed to wear a condom the first week you have it in (and this is my first week having it in), the condom broke..and I only had the ring in for 5 days so far instead of 7 and I thought maybe 5 would be ok enough that I wouldn't need to buy the EC pills..I take this very seriously..it's not just something to do and I'm not stupid about it. It's very important and I want to double-check that it will be ok.

13. partizan036

partizan036 New Member

meh nevermind

14. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Have you been taking it consistently since July? As in you always took it out and put it back in when you were supposed to? If you have been then you have nothing to worry about. It works just like other birth control where it will protect you continously as long as you insert and remove it at the proper time. The 7 day thing is for when you FIRST start using the ring, not for each month.

15. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

since you seem to be the only good reply so far, just to clear up some confusion online it says if it is put in on the first day then it is immediately effective. but if put in from days 2-5 you need another form of protection for 7 days. it is talking about the first day after her period right? we couldnt really find any thing to clear up the confusion because another article called day 1 the first day of her period but she is supposed to have it out then. thanks

16. Midgetized

I'm assuming you are referring to me? Before I can answer that I need to know whether she was on it last month or not. Since you said it's been 5 days I'm assuming that she put it in this past Sun the 2nd right? So did she have a ring in from Nov 4-Nov 25th and then remove it for a week on the 25th? And did she take the ring out on the 25th and put it in on the 2nd at approx the same time each day (within a couple hours is ok)? If she did that then you are completely covered and it's not even necessary to use condoms unless you just want the extra guarantee against pregnancy or diseases.

If she did not have the ring in last month the way I just described (maybe she skipped a month of it or it had been more than a week since her last one was in) then you should get EC because you were not covered.

What you read online refers to putting the ring in for the first time (not having used it for at least the last month). When you put the ring in for the first time you can either start it on the 1st day of your period or on Sun. If you start it the 1st day of the period then you are immediately protected against pregnancy. If you start on the Sun after your period then you need to use condoms for a week because you will not be protected that first week. Once you have been using the ring (having it in for 3 weeks and out for a week) then you are continously protected against pregnancy as long as you follow the 3 week in 1 week out schedule. If you break that cycle then you have to start over again with the either 1st day of your period or Sun start thing.

17. iwishyouwerebeer

You've received two boxes of Plan B and taken them? This would be your 3rd time taking it? Wow.

18. squishypets

squishypets New Member

Yes, I've been using it correctly and every month since July. I took it out on the 25th of November and put it in Dec. 2nd, which was also the very last day of my period. Ok I feel better now. Thank you very much for the help!

Lol I know that sounds bad, but we probably didn't need to take them, it was just a safety precaution.

19. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

As others have said just take the PlanB pill just for precaution. It's $40 in pharmacy stores over here so I don't know what kind of stores you go to. Also, if you know the condoms are cheap then they probably aren't that effective anyway. If you only need to use protection for that first wk can't you spend maybe what $10 a month for a 6 pack of condoms that are actually effective?

20. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

Well they aren't a cheap name or anything but the last one we used broke, and twice before its actually slipped off during sex which makes me think maybe they were a bigger size then normal, but like she said she probably didnt need to take it because the ring was in and working, it was jut to make sure she didnt get pregnant. we havent actually went into a store to look but looked at online pharmacy's including walgreens and they all wanted 85 for it which is very expensive for one time use. the clinic she goes to said she can get them for 20 dollars at a special pharmacy but she couldnt remember the name and they were already closed.

21. Abomb

Abomb New Member

nuva ring works great for my lover

22. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

I bought one of the planB pills for the first time ever, and it was $40 at Walgreens. So, I dont know if it's because you checked online or what. But I'd go in person. It's like what my fiancee told me, $40 or $450,000 spent on a child for 18 yrs of our lives, that we're not even ready for. :hs: And I've always gone with Trojans and no problems.

23. Midgetized

No problem :bigthumb:

I may be wrong on this but I don't think you should be taking plan B while using BC at the same time. You would be adding a lot of extra hormones in and it's possible it could mess up the BC cycle. I would ask your doctor about that to be sure.

And as long as you use the ring correctly like you've been doing there's no need to worry if the condom breaks. The ring has the same effectiveness as other hormonal BC, 99.9% so you don't even need to use condoms unless you want to.

24. Midgetized

I really have no idea why people keep saying she should get plan B. She has been consistently using birth control for 5 months. I'm guessing you guys that are saying that just don't understand how the ring works. It is the same as if she had been on the pill for the last 5 months. Most people using birth control don't even use condoms at all so having it break once or twice isn't even an issue.

25. squishypets

squishypets New Member

Thank you so much, Midgetized! You've been such a great help. My thinking is that if you have to put it back in up to 3 hours if you took it out for sex, that if you take a week for a break to have your period that it wouldn't be effective anymore since it's been out a whole week? Get what I'm saying? But I think they say that because it's still releasing the hormones while you wear it because you haven't gotten the full dosage? And you're protected for that week you took it out and when putting the new one in..