GUN question about my XD-9 slide

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kylieannminogue, Mar 7, 2008.

1. kylieannminogue

kylieannminogue OT Supporter

last night while at the range in San Diego I was using my Springfield XD-9. During the last discharge of the ammo, the slide didn't lock back. it did that a few times but when my brother in law shot with the xd-9, the slide locked back each time for him.

he says its because of my handling of the gun during the recoil.

can someone explain why the slide wouldn't lock back after the last trigger pull of the magazine?

thank you :)

2. kylieannminogue

found it

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Was just about to post about checking your high support hand grip. It's funny what you think your body parts are doing as opposed to whats really going on down there sometimes.

the XD has a big slide release and it's easy to ride it or bump it during recoil.

If you are shooting "thumbs forward" remember the thumbs shouldn't be exerting any pressure on the pistol at all.

4. kylieannminogue

can you please go into a little more detail about proper hand placement on the xd-9?

yesterday was my second time at the range... my bro-in law han me which my hands around a little and my accurracy increased.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

thats my problem with SIGs, sometimes I ride the slide release. Especially with hogues on, I can't tell that I'm doing it.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

I shoot my XD as I shoot all my auto's, high on the grip as possible, both thumbs forward with my support hand locked forward. What I used to do that got me in some inconsistencies was applying lateral pressure with my thumbs riding along the slide of the pistol. they play no role in the grip of my gun other than to stay out of the way and position the pad of my strong hand as far up the rear strap as possible.

The majority of my grip pressure is in the lower fingers of my hand, and not near the upper where my trigger finger is, in my mind I divide my hand in half. the lower half controls recoil with my support hand taking up 60% and keeps my notch and post aligned, and the other half of my hand trigger control.

Other than that, nothing special.

[​IMG]

In this pic you will see how high my support hand rides the frame. Because of the position of my support hand palms, my strong hand rides higher up on the grip and does not even touch the slide release.

[​IMG]