MMA Question about Muay Thai

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Danja, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Danja

Danja New Member

Hi guys,

I've decided that my schedule this semester leaves my Thursday nights really open and that the school Muay Thai club has a schedule that perfectly plugs that hole. It's really tempting; I've been doing (and continue to do) Japanese jujutsu for a year, but I've wanted to do a more striking oriented martial art as well and I thought MT sounded like a good candidate from what I've seen. My school's club seems to be pretty open about who they take, especially given that they know I'd only be able to make one of the two weekly practices and are OK with it, so my concern might seem strange but I wanted to ask on here.

I have one question that concerns me before I join. I'm at the school on a full ride academic scholarship, which is probably worth more to me in the long run than MT. Because of this, I need my head to be working 100%. I understand that head injuries are a risk in any martial art and that each club is different, but since MT is a boxing type art and I've never been to a boxing practice of any sort, I wanted to ask on here: based on your experience with it, what's the chance of getting a "serious" head injury (think concussion) for a newb? Do they usually take it easy with head strikes, or do they go all out once you learn the ropes?

I realize that I sound over cautious, even to myself, but I gotta protect what's saving me big money every year. Thanks in advance for replies.

2. Matt Hood

Matt Hood New Member

If you're going to a "school" or a "club" that's an actual class I highly doubt that they're going to let you get hurt. Wear head gear and a mouth piece and you should be fine. They're not just going to throw you in there. If they let amateurs in I'm sure they monitor it.

3. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

Heres the first thing you need to know. If you dont have proper technique down and posture.. and they want you to spar? You need to look elsewhere. Train your body, then train your body to fight. It will keep you health and help you avoid injury. Bag work, pad work, cardio. Light sparring is okay if you're decent but dont start eating shots just to "see what its like" Let the growing process begin for you and you'll be great

4. Kuet

Kuet New Member

they arent going to make you spar right away, and if they ask you to then leave. Nothing to worry about budword.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

From what I've seen its the traditional boxing places that will throw you to the dogs too early. I didn't know it at the time, but I looked at the symptoms and apperently I did get a mild concussion. I agree with you completely, its not worth getting a head injury during sparring.

In my MT class its never a slugfest and its far more enjoyable. Every once in a while someone will be a hero and go three times harder and faster than you are, but for the most part everyone is cool.

Only spar the guys you trust and who don't have egos, and make its clear you will be going easy. Many new guys get really angry when they first get hit, and then they start rushing their partner trying to "get him back." That makes your partner nervous and will turn him from "im showing this guy the ropes" mode to "im gonna teach this noob a lesson" mode. Keep your ego out of it and just stay calm when hit. If he still wails on you, don't spar him cause he's an asshole. But I imagine if this club is affiliated with your university you won't have much to worry about because they will have some pretty stiff rules on injuries.

6. Danja

Danja New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm feeling a lot better about it so I'm going to my first class on Thurs. I don't know what to do about head gear but the fee covers wraps, so I'll be asking about that. Hopefully this will round out my style a bit.

Thanks.

7. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

A lot of places will have headgear you can use. At the place I go it wasnt needed for new people for at least a few months. And even then it was "just in case" and not for full contact sparing or anything. You'll be fine.

8. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

You'll be fine. Any legit school won't throw you in to spar before you know how to protect yourself, and even then you always have the option of wearing head-gear.

9. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Yeah

I've been doing Muay Thai for over 3 years and we've only sparred like 3 times. I'm not on "the team" though, I just go to the classes. Usually the worst thing we do is randori which is fighting at like 20% power. I always hit people as hard as I want to be hit (which is not hard) but you always get that guy that's like 50 pounds bigger than you and hits pretty hard. Then you're just backing up and blocking for 3 minutes :rofl:

Anyways, I have never ever had any sort of head injury, just a sore neck from clinch drills! Enjoy the bruises for your first month or two :)

10. teep

teep New Member

you've sparred only 3 times in 3 years? :hsugh:

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Some gyms are like that. I know at Fairtex in SF you dont get any contact, not even running drills until you are more or less approved / tested to join that group. :dunno:

12. teep

teep New Member

he said he just does it for fitness anyway. i retract my :hsugh:

13. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Technique, randori and conditioning