GUN Question about Mosin Nagant rifles and ammo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, May 21, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

So there was a gun show this last weekend, and there were an abundant supply of Mosin rifles ranging from $95-$550. They were also selling soldered boxes of Hungarian yellow tip ammo, 440rounds for $49. Was I a complete fool to pass up on this stuff? I shoot and load .308, but at that price it almost seems like I should have gone ahead and bought a rifle and some ammo.

My questions are, is the Mosin rifle a good buy, does anyone on here actually go hunting with one, and is it accurate enough at 125 yards to put a clean shot on a deer? Just wondering, because I might pick one up next month if it is a good deal.

2. soccaian

soccaian New Member

their accuracy is about average... at least within 2 -3 inches at ~100 yards

but for the price, they are really hard to beat.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Also curious if it would work for hunting...

Better hit whatever you're aiming at on the first shot because everything in a 5 mile radius is going to scatter,lol...

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I imagine if you swapped the Irons for a scope that it would be plenty accurate to hunt. As for the 'worth the cost', why not? They are less than 100 bucks, figure another hundred for 880 rounds of ammo...

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I certainly wouldn't go hunting with one, but they are fun to go plinking with. The surplus ammo is no good at our indoor ranges. If I shoot indoors I have to use the ammo that costs about the same as premium .223 rounds for my AR. I just paid $14.99 for 20 rounds. I went through 40 rounds at the range, had a fun time, and left with a nice bruise on my shoulder. :o

At the outdoor range they really don't care what you use...

6. soccaian

soccaian New Member

why not go hunting with it?

it's certainly deadly enough

7. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i wouldnt take it hunting based on the fact it shoots a gigantor fireball, its corrosive ammo(you might not be able to clean it for a while out in the woods) its loud as all hell which might scare any other potential game away just to name a few...

ammo is a little high, i paid 40 per 440 at our rip show.

8. soccaian

soccaian New Member

high??

it's damn near the cheapest shit you can buy outside of .22

9. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

49 per case is still high for the norm.

10. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Are you on drugs? Have you not priced other rifle ammo lately?

11. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

are YOU on drugs? i dont care if 49 is "cheap" to you or not. the fact is, this ammo can be had elsewhere for cheaper. so you sir, are the fucking idiot on drugs.

12. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

:werd: even though i dont support aimsurplus.

13. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

the whole "we keep a copy of your drivers license on file" thing is bullshit IMO. i wont support any site with this policy.

14. soccaian

soccaian New Member

so they check to see if you are 18/21, whats the big deal?

15. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Cheaper than dirt doesn't. Theres no reason why aim should have to. I don't like it either, and I've avoided buying from them.

However, they are only a few hours from my house, this summer I'm gonna save up and go make an ammo run, so I'm gonna violate my rule.

16. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i have no problem with the checking... its the keeping on file i have a problem with. its a bullshit policy.

17. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

they wont photo copy your id if you walk in i dont think... if they do, i will never buy from them and make sure im loud about it too.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wouldn't have a problem hunting with one, if I was hunting I wouldnt be using FMJ milsurp anyway so corrosive wouldnt be an issue. I wouldn't bother with using it on any game around here though bit of an overkill for the deer here, if I was doing moose or bear I'd use it.

I think I paid $39 per tin last time i bought some.

19. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I agree with Squid, it's not going to be effective if you're shooting the deer with the old mil surp stuff. If you get some quality soft point ammo and find a rifle with a nice bore on it then I don't see why you couldn't hunt with it.

20. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Hmm. It sounds like it would be neat. I might pick one up, but it sounds like it is less accurate than my .308, and I have all the gear for that already. I guess it will be dependant on whatever mood I am in. Looks like that cartridge is still in use, so it might be worth buying a rifle next show.

21. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

My friend has one...he just uses it to plink with, but it's fun as hell. I'd def. buy one. At $100, you can't go wrong.

22. Furner

Furner New Member

i doubt aim keeps your ID on file to spy on you. if you had to send your ID in every time you ordered, you idiots would bitch about that too. they are just making it easier for you to order in the future.

23. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

still an invasion of privacy since the govt can come in and sieze the records... fuck them.

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

25. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: I rather them keep my shit then have to send in my shit every time I order.