MIL Question about Military Intelligence

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BEAST MODE!, Dec 24, 2008.

1. BEAST MODE!

BEAST MODE! New Member

If i wanted to pursue intel., is any one branch (Air force or Army) better than the other? Would one set me up for a career outside the military better than the other? I was thinking about OCS and OTS. I noticed the Air Force also has Special Investigations Officers.

I would eventually like to work for the FBI, CIA.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Go Army or Air Force, unless you like boats.
    You will probably end up working at the same place regardless of branch, but the Navy still has boats to be stuck on.

3. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

You won't have any guarantee at getting an Intel slot in either the Army or Air Force. In the Army it goes by the needs of the military + your Order of Merit rank in OCS. Not sure about the AF, but I would assume it's similar, if not even more competitive. Also doesn't help that MI is probably the 2nd most desired branch after flight.

Get good test scores and even more importantly, excellent PT scores and you will have a good chance at a MI slot.

and yes, having military background is a very big plus for obtaining a FBI/CIA career.

4. BEAST MODE!

BEAST MODE! New Member

Thanks. I know the Air Force takes care of their men and going Air Force i would be eligible to receive the GI Bill where as if i went Army, i would not. Not that the GI Bill is the determining factor, but just something think about. The shorter deployments don't hurt either.

But no one branch is better in terms of Military Intelligence?

edit: Thanks Ninja. So there is really only one way to find out and thats by joining. What happens if you don't make it?

5. BEAST MODE!

BEAST MODE! New Member

:kdubb:

6. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

All branches of the Military are eligible for the GI bill. Do you already have a 4 year college degree? If want to be an officer in the military, then you will need a degree..

I think AF or Army would be the best for a MI slot.

Yes, the only way to know if you would get an MI slot is to join the military and complete BCT and OCS. 3/4 of the way through OCS, you are ranked amongst your fellow OCS peers and a selection order is created. If you are ranked 1st in the class, you get 1st pick of branch. Sometimes everyone gets what they want, sometimes not. One OCS class may have 15 MI slots available while the very next OCS class may only have 2. No way to know. You may not get your first choice, so have a list of backups that you would also be happy with.

7. BEAST MODE!

BEAST MODE! New Member

Yes, i do have my 4 year degree. B.A. in Criminal Justice.

Do you know anything about Special Investigations Officers? I did not know if that would be a stepping stone to obtaining a government job once im out of the Military.

8. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Don't know about SIO, but I assume it would make for solid work experience which would transfer over to a government job.

Also check here, tons of info on OCS, branch selection, etc

http://www.airforceots.com/

http://www.armyocs.com/

9. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I want to punch our brigade's Intel company in its collective face.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

There's also Counter-Intel. Have you looked into the USMC? They also have an intel community.

11. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

going off pure speculation here, but if you want to do "field" type intel work I would say army or marines. Navy intel officers never leave the building they work at (or ship).. wouldn't be surprised if AF is the same way. Powerpoints ftw!

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

We wern't talking about enlisted :) doing stuff like that is rare though, a good very high % of IS' will be doing regular analysis (staring at a screen or making powerpoints) vs those that actually get out and get to do stuff.

13. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Going OSI? Got accepted? If so, go buy a lottery ticket and watch out for lightning.