GUN Question about mental disorders and purchasing firearms.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dr. Magic, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

When I was younger but still a legal adult I got into some trouble and I was put into a mental institution and prescribed antipsychotics. It's been years since I've been anywhere near that bad. I'm wondering if that's going to affect me getting a handgun and CHL.

This is Texas.

2. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

i'm not sure how that works, but to get a permit to purchase here, you fill out a form and it'll ask you if youve ever been convicted of this and that blah blah blah, and if i remember correctly theres a question about your mental health issue

3. texchef

texchef Guest

There is a specific question that speaks to being diagnosed with a mental illness on the application. If it is in you medical records it may come up.

4. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

It will definitely come up, but I am not sure if it will bar you from getting a CHL.

5. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

If you were ever adjudicated mentally incompetent by a judge, it may come up. You may be able to talk to a lawyer, and have the record expunged, but i'm not familiar with mental disorder issues. It will come up though, same as if you were to buy a firearm and fill out a 4473. If you can't own a firearm through filling out a 4473 and passing the NICS check, you have little chance of getting a CCW.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Straight from the FBI/NICS webpage. If you were deemed a mental "defective" or you have been involuntarily committed, then you are prohibited from purchasing a firearm at the federal level.

If you can't get a firearm, then you cannot get a CHL.

So that's the question you need to ask yourself... Were you deemed a "mental defective"? Were you commited VOLUNTARILY? or INVOLUNTARILY?

7. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

Voluntarily against my will. :o It was a real fuzzy part of my life back then. The judge was the one that let me out though. :hsd:

Should I just go down to Gander Mountain or wherever and fill out the paperwork and see?

8. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

just lie, no big deal, i plenty of mentals who have bought guns, and adult 5150's, only felonies come up on the federal check.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Clarify . . . if the judge let you out it doesn't sound voluntary, but if it was you should be in the clear.

You can always get a copy of the application and look at the legal wording and see if the questions apply to you or not.

10. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

lying on the form is also a felony

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

is any incorrect answer a felony or just willfully deceiving when it comes to his state? After all one could think they went if for treatment of their own accord to avoid legal action only to realize that it was a court ordered commitment.

I'm not condoning lying, I'm just playing devil advocate and saying since he thinks it was voluntary that a question about being committed could be answered no to the best of his knowledge, a person could be wrong, especially if that point in their life was not to clear say due to excessive drug use.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It would come down to his "meantal state" at the time he filled out the form -- did he intend to deceive, or did he reasonably believe his answers to be true. Since he's here posting the question, I think it's reasonable that he does know something is up... So if he lied on the form, he would be commiting time.

Perhaps there is a way to see what information would come back on the background check? I'm not sure if it would cover this, but what does the freedom of information act give us in this area?

given the taboo-nature of these things, I'd recommend he clarifies his past before attempting to purchase a firearm. Although I personally believe it should be based on who the person is today, the past does play a signifigant role in the current regulations regarding firearm purchases. As a result, previous criminal/mental history is going to play a big role; just like anyone that has "renounced" their citizenship -- perhaps during the 60's which would not have been uncommon amongst increased drug use, liberal uprising, and a forced draft -- is technically prohibited from purchasing a firearm. Right or wrong, it is the law, at this time.

13. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

in other words. delete this thread before you lie.,

14. ReefBlue

ReefBlue New Member

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

just go fill it out, but it doesnt sound like you will be able to own a firearm unless someone misses the part where you were committed.

16. Frazz

Frazz New Member

did a report on ccw's not to long ago. most states had a 5+ year period you could not have any problems, but they also had the discretionary clause of, something like 'a threat to society/self'.... thats where your problems will lie...

17. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

HAHAAH nice, but white balance on the picture would've been nicer. :hs:

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

There is a form you can do to see if you are legally able to buy a firearm without doing the 4473.

I would do that first.

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Just call a lawyer, shouldn't take to much time/money to figure out if you can legally buy guns.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Weren't you the guy with the thug friends that got into some fight that lead to them shooting that lead to court for them? :rofl:

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not perfect, but 20sec in photoshop helped.

[​IMG]

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

and isn't that an IAMLEGEND re-create?

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats what i thought :dunno:

:rofl: he even has the dog in there

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea... The guy in a bathtub with his AR and dog seems like a giveaway to I Am Legend...

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

on a sidenote to the OP... As long as you don't do any creative writing assignments then you should be okay :h5: