Question about MCP Certification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Oct 17, 2003.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

what is the required score to pass? Nowhere on microsoft's site or in any of the books I've read does it say. I've been taking some practice exams and getting consistent 70% scores on them, but I dunno if this is good enough or not :dunno:

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

That is a really good question. Its either 70% or 75% for about all the exams. I want to say there's one or two that require 80 or 85% (networking essentials maybe?).

Its been a while since I last took mine. I want to say its 70% because I just barely passed.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

oh boy.... better keep working then. I always like to go in knowing that I have a minimum 5% safety net for passing.

The exam I'm going to be taking is 70-270 (Installing and Configuring Microsoft Windows XP Professional)

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

This is one of the reasons your cert won't carry much weight after you get it.

Are you getting it because:

- A company has asked you to get it (either to do work for them or to look good for their clients)
    - You have nothing better to do
    - Everyone has one!
    - Attempt to get a better job or to spice up the resume
    - Attempting to jump careers (say from underwater basket weaving to the computer industry)

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

actually, attempt to get a job, period. I'm A+ and Net+ certified from studying for/passing them in high school under an independent study program, but nobody will touch me. Part of that may also be that I'm not 18 yet (turning 18 in early November - like 3 weeks from now)

During the summers of my sophomore and junior years of high school I worked for the School District as a field technician, going out to buildings repairing systems and peripherals (Windows and Macs both, as well as HP Printers) as well as installing new workstations (gateway/dell) and network printers (4050DN's and 4500DN's at that time). I even got some experience with setting up and managing win2000 servers and AppleShare IP servers. Unfortunately, I haven't worked since then (other academic responsibilities) so it leaves a big hole in my resume.

seriously I thought getting some certs would help me get through the door someplace and then continue to earn more as I go. Frankly, if when you get your cert will make that big of a difference to a company (i.e. since I'm not working RIGHT NOW, and I go get the cert, it is viewed as a paper-only cert) then certs are kinda bullshit. :dunno:

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

THIS is gold. Seriously. This alone may end up weighing more than most certs. Hands on experience is very valuable.

This is the typical thought - a cert will help, but if all you have is a cert and no experience, then the cert gets cancelled out in most cases (especially in an economy like this). Experience and certs will help. Now if you're smooth, you might be able to find a company will be willing to pay for your certifcation tests and materials (mine did, but I went solo because I was looking to make a job change and I didn't feel like paying them back). Assuming of course you can find a job. Its a tough job market out there right now. Turning 18 will definitely help. Not sure what you're college plans are, but a 4 year degree from what I've heard is beyond gold over any certs you could get.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

I'm at the local community college taking core classes, then I'm going to transfer to MSU under the Information and Telecommunications Management major to get a bachelors.

Right now though, I'm just looking for like a part-time entry level tech support job or atleast something in networking to get by on. There was one at a local Internet Service Provider, but its been over a month now since I applied and haven't heard anything back from them (I call each week to find out the status of the position and they say they're still accepting resumes) - the job is still posted.

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sounds like an awesome plan!

I wish I was as organized when I was your age... (I was still trying to figure out where my place was to be in the computer industry)