question about MBP whine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lilcheen, Feb 27, 2007.

1. lilcheen

lilcheen New Member

So I have a CD MBP, bought it almost a year ago. I've decided I'm going to by Apple Care next week - but thats beside the point-

I was studying with this girl from my class and we were at her place - she was sitting about 10 ft from me - and she's like, why does your laptop make that noise (whine) - I've had it, this makes the 2nd person to notice - it's always annoyed me, but I've dealt with it.

Is there anything I can do (was there anythign done to fix the first MBP whine?
    I've tried to search everywhere, but can't seem to find the answer.. help before i have to call apple to find out. Thanks!

2. eatininbed01

eatininbed01 OT Supporter

mine was making a whining sound as well, it might be the fans (it probably is). i took mine to the genius bar and they ran a diagnostic test and are now going to fix it no charge. I have applecare.

3. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I had the whine as well, they replaced my motherboard and it went away. (which caused other problems, but that's another story)

4. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21714

been using it since I got the laptop last march

tune the slider to a point where you can't hear the whine anymore, but it's not too low to save CPU cycles. then have it set to startup hidden with OSX. I changed the icon of mine to a little Macbook Pro, you could always do something to the icon to make it less ugly, since it's chilling in your tasbar the whole time

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

although i dont have a whine, i am a little curious about the program. does it lower the fan RPM's <1000?

6. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

The whine has nothing to do with the fans. It whines when the CPU idles. THis program makes the CPU not idle.