MIL Question about Marine PFT v. exercise induced asthma :wtc:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by potam, Apr 19, 2007.

1. potam

potam que pasa?

I've (almost) made up my mind about enlisting and plan on heading to a recruiter tomorrow to get some more detailed info/answer some questions.

The main thing that always irks me is the physical requirements, specifically running. As a child I caught pneumonia twice which fucked up my lungs resulting in exercise induced asthma. If you're unfamiliar with it, it basically means that if I do something that normally results in heavy breathing (ie running), I essentially have an asthma attack.

As it stands, I have never used an inhaler that has helped me, so I am stuck with getting through it on my own (though I plan on going to the doctor one last time just to see if a new inhaler does the trick).

I can run 2 miles in around 20 minutes right now, and plan on working more running into my routine. And other than my shitty lungs, I am in decent shape. So my real question is: Will I be able to handle the PFT?

2. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

They might not even let you enlist with that. But there is a waiver for everything. I think your past history of using inhalers is probably going to be a problem though. Good luck though.

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

not going to fly. maybe try again in a year when you're less sick. you're not going to survive boot camp otherwise.

4. USS Derelict

USS Derelict New Member

I had that when i was around 13, just kinda went away

what is "around 20min?"

5. potam

potam que pasa?

I never really timed myself. But when I do remember looking at the time after running two miles it was 20:xx. :hs:

6. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

dude you just need a montage.

7. Fearan

Fearan Guest

You won't go far in the Marines with that. 10 minute mile is pretty much walking pace, so unless you can up that, you'll be SOL.

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Che Guevara had this condition...and he still managed to kill plenty of capitalist pigs. I agree...you need a montage and you're set.

9. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Montage or no Marine Corps. Forget bootcamp, once you hit the fleet you'll be completley fucked if you can't run. You'll be put on limited duty and be the platoon shitbag.

10. shiba

shiba Active Member

Think of it this way. If you are on a mission and get into a firefight, Would you want to slow down the rest of your marines when your asthma hits?