GUN Question about legality of FA parts.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Feb 11, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Since I got my AK I've been shopping here and there for various parts and I've stumbled across quite a few FA parts including auto sears, most parts being very inexpensive ($5 for the auto sear vs $8000 for an AR auto sear.) And they're all reputable dealers... so what gives? What kind of loopholes do you have to jump through to build a FA gun? Is it legal to own auto parts if they're not installed in your gun? (i.e. stored away in case of a SHTF scenario where full auto fire might be desirable) :dunno: Anywhere I can read up on this stuff?

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

with AKs, the FCG is cheap, its the receiver that is expensive.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you own a FA sear without the proper paperwork you're fucked.

5. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Im sure it falls under the same shit as M16 stuff. If you have enough M16 parts and own an AR15, the ATF doesnt like that. Even though you can buy them all day for cheap.

Honest answer is there is no such thing as a cheap transferrable machine gun. If there was, lots of people would be doing it. No loopholes period.

Follow the law, stay away from MG specific stuff, and if you want an FA get out $15k.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The third FCG hole in the receiver or the notch in the rail is considered a machine gun. You won't be able to install that stuff without modifying your receiver, which is illegal.

7. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

so what about this?

my mother doesn't like guns - can i store an AK sear at her place

i have an AK at mine

in a SHTF situation, I bugger off to her place with AK in the back of my car?

8. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Why would you want FA in a SHTF situation? You wont be able to aim for shit while firing full auto because you've got no training doing it, and it would be a collosal waste of ammo.

9. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

some people have already said they might prefer FA in a SHTF situation

it's irrelevant if i agree with it or not - people just want it

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what about you? why would YOU want it?

11. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

i don't

i'm just interested in the legal ramifications

a sear by itself is a 50c piece of steel - i'm just interested at what point it becomes an MG

12. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

It was really just an example but let's say your house is getting swarmed by a bunch of looters (or zombies.) :dunno:

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I don't think its a question of physical location so much as legal ownership.

plus the kind of situation where you are not going to get fucked for having a FA is not the Rodney King riots type of SHFT. We are talking full on complete failure of the government (no katrina style either) with roaming gag or armed criminals killing and raping. Do you really want to take an AK off line long enough to install the FA sear and take the risk you will bugger it?

Plus if that SHTF situation yo will have to have installation instructions already printed and with the sear and the proper tools. You own the gun, the tools, the full auto sear and the instructions to do the conversion ad you are screwed.

14. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I would prefer semi-auto anyways...:dunno:

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I said it earlier in the thread, the sear is not the regulated part, it's the receiver. Your receiver needs to have certain modifications done in your receiver to accept an autosear, once those are done it is considered a machinegun. I have about 5 or 6 autosears but they just sit in a box with the rest of my gun parts because I'm not interested in making an illegal machine gun.

In some HKs, the sear is the regulated part, this is all decided by the ATF so it doesn't really have to make sense.

16. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Exactly. There's nothing illegal about buying the parts (aside from gathering enough to form constructive intent), throwing them in you guns isnt going to make it a machine gun in 30 seconds.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

keep pulling the trigger :dunno:

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't know a lot of this because I haven't cared enough to look but at what point does the ATF nail you with constructive possession? I was under the impression that just having the autosear and the make of gun its for, even if the receiver wasn't ready yet, would still qualify for constructive possession.

19. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

No one knows. With SBRs you know it's having a short upper and already owning an AR or whatever gun there of.

With firing parts no one knows. They're not regulated. Will owning an M16 bolt carrier do it? Or do you need and M16 bolt carrier, trigger, hammer, selector?

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well we know some of it. We know that a m16 carrier isn't constructive possession because you absolutely cannot make a gun fire full auto by installing it. An auto fcg is a different animal though.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Last I heard was the ATF determines that it should take a competent gunsmith atleast 8hrs to do a semi to full auto conversion. We all know that for most guns it can be done a lot quicker. I've seen posties built up in under an hour.

I believe the ATF has certain requirements on each different type of gun. for 1919s, your semi-auto sideplate is going to be different than a full-auto. For an AK, a third FCG hole for your auto sear, or the notch in your carrier rails makes it into a machine gun.

So in my understanding, for many guns, you can have the FA parts, but as long as you don't have booklets laying around with instructions on how to do the conversion, you're not breaking any laws.

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So you feel safe keeping an auto sear and a ar15 in the same house with the 8 hour rule?

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I didn't mean an AR, that's just a drop in part from my understanding. I'm talking about guns that require physical modification to the receivers that allow for full auto parts.

24. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

you can own a fullauto trigger group for an AK. You just cant install it (which as has been mentioned, is no small task). You can buy them from OhioRapidFire, no problems, no questions asked, 20$. they came with a lot of the demilled kits and are replaced by US trigger groups once here. Some of the companies are just selling them for shits and giggles. Don't worry about it.
    Of course, I'm not a lawyer and YMMV