Question about Laptop HDDs (and some Linux stuff too)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zourn, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I have a Laptop that is running a 40GB HDD with WinXP, I want to run Linux on my Laptop. I noticed with the Knoppix Live CD the machine booted faster and almost every app started right up, without having to wait forever. And that was without any tweaking. Can I get another HDD to Install Linux on, so that I don't accidently kill my entire Laptop, and be able to switch out the HDD without there being much of a problem?

2. MP

MP New Member

Depends on the laptop (if it has room or not). The easyest way is to just format/partition the HDD into two sections. One big partition 30gb for windows and 10gb for *nix. Your could partition it differently if you'de like. Most distro's of *nix don't need more then 5gbs. You really can't mess your computer up to much with *nix so don't be to scared. Search on google to learn how to dual boot. It's SUPER easy to do nowadays. Incredibly convienent(spelling?) Good luck.

BTW: I've run redhat 8 & 9 perfectly on a few laptops. No troubles at all.

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I've been using linux on a laptop since redhat 5.1, and I've never had a problem. Yes, there should be no problem switching hdds to switch operating systems, but as ludelover said, it would likely be much easier just to split your partition in half and use LILO to choose your OS at boot time.

4. Zourn

I'm not worried about the Linux part, I mean will I have problems switching HDD's, as in will the port break after switching too often?

AND, where can I get a complete guide to start off using and modding Linux starting off with little to no knowledge. Everytime I read a Linux How-to I get confused.

5. MP

MP New Member

you're not physically switching the HD. Partitioning it into two partitions just tricks it into thinking it's two HD's so you can have one for windows and one for Linux. Once you have it all set up (software wise) when you turn on your computer it will ask you "hey, do you want to boot up into windows or linux damnit?" then you just pick which one you boot to. Once you've booted into say, Linux you won't be able to touch the windows partitions.

I learned how to dual boot on the redhat site. www.redhat.com . check out this link here. It explains in good detail how to set up a dual boot system.

If you want to learn linux from a start the best thing to do is first get it installed (easy as windows). Once you get it installed do a search for "Basic linux commands". Read over them and try them out a little. When you run into trouble the open source community is so large there isn't a problem that nobody else has never run into. Finding an answer is as easy as searching on google,or going into a *nix chat room.

6. Zourn

Ludelover, you were talking about partitioning, I was talking about getting a brand new extra drive, and switching them out. The HDD in mine is easy to take out(two screws and a pull). I only have about 5 gigs left on my drive. but, i'll prolly just clean it up and then set up a dual boot.

And one more question, which distro is Knoppix based off of? In some apps I'll see Redhat 9.1 in the corner, but most of the Documentation mentions Debian this and Debian that. Is it a hybrid?

7. Zourn