MMA question about kicking the heavy bag

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by el es dee, Jun 7, 2006.

1. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

when i throw a hard roundhouse the bottom of my foot always hurts afterwards, is something wrong with my tech? i make contact with my shins btw

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you want your shin to be making the impact.

If you're kicking with your foot, other than the bottom of the foot for push kicks (aka front kick, foot jab, etc), or using the heel for soccer kicks, it can hurt you.

Practice your form on kicking and you will find it more easy to kick with the shins. Read up and/or take lessons in MT for some useful kicks.

3. el es dee

i mean it feels like all the blood pools in the bottom of my foot

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

oops, I read it as "I can't make contact with my shins" haha.

In that case I have no clue. Sure you're hitting it down the center of the shin and not on the sides?

5. el es dee

could be the side, ill pay more attention. it happenes after like the third or fourth consecutive kick

6. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I have something similar happen to me when I spar barefoot. If its the same thing then Its the way you hold you grip with your feet on the ground. Its a muscle cramp at the bottom of your feet. Try wearing socks and you'll notice it completely disappears.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  7. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

If it is a foot cramp then you are probably curling your toes too tightly and the impact will make your foot muscle cramp after a few kicks. Pay attention not to where your impact is, but how your foot is when you are kicking. I do not like to curl my toes at all while kicking, but then again I prefer not to kick as I have better hands than feet.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Truth. I've gotten foot cramps before.

Most kicks are thrown with your foot extended, and people tend to curl their toes or feet to try and extend it all the way. Personally I've learned simply to let my calve pull the kicking foot back, as that is the muscle that controls the extension of your foot. Curling the toes does relatively little, other than make it easier to extend the foot. Once you've focused on doing this for a while it will come naturally. Muscular awareness is very important in getting all you can out of your strikes, so you should experiment with everything and find out which muscles you use and which would help or hurt to use when throwing each strike to enhance form.