Question about iphone & tethering and stuff

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by urban ape, May 15, 2008.

1. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

OK, so i am going to buy the newest iphone whenever it comes out here pretty soon.

What i want to know is, can i use it as a modem? will the 3g network have sufficient speeds to surf/email/etc.?

i have a 15" MBP 2.2ghz C2D

Thanks in advance for yalls help :bowdown:

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

With the current iPhone you can tether but only through the use of 3rd party software and it's fairly round-about to do. Until the new iPhone actually is announced/released, there is no way to tell if they will allow tethering. With other AT&T phones they charge an additional fee to tether so keep that in mind ($15/month more I think is what some friends pay). 3G will be more then sufficient for surfing, email, etc (and if it's not then tough cause it's the fastest thing available to us right now).

3. urban ape

well thats good to know, 15 bucks beats the data plan for mobile broadband

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They limit it to 5GB a month too on tethering. I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave out the ability to tether in the new iPhone.

5. urban ape

shit i am basically trying to avoid paying for a mobile broadband service unless i have to.

right now i have the vzw unlimited plan 99/mo plus 60/mo for mobile broadband

the att iphone unlimited plan is 119/mo for everything. if i could tether that would be sweet, but 5GB isnt even enough to give me wood

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Well Verizon cuts people off and cancels their contracts and charges them the early termination fee if they go over the limit on their "unlimited" plan. Maybe you can pay for more thru-put with AT&T but I'm not really sure. I think I'd just keep the Verizon mobile broadband since you already have the hardware for it and it's not compatible with AT&T.

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

This doesn't really make sense. This is for their broadband card. 5GB included but no fee for over??

[​IMG]

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

This is pretty sweet for anyone looking to get outta their contract.

Just use over 5GB of data and they let you outta your contract.

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:bowdown: that is a sweet loophole... provided they don't just let you slide on the data to keep you locked in to a contract. I wouldn't count on that working if I was 1 month in to a 2 year contract.