Question about internet security

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I know I am probably going to get flamed for this, so please try to realize my situation and help, if possible.

I am currently deployed to Iraq with the Army. I will be leaving shortly to go out to another site for a few weeks. There is wireless internet (satellite) available that is provided by some Iraqi locals that run a small store on the site. I will be using a Visa gift card to pay the fee, so I'm not worried about that. I am told that these guys will attempt to steal personal data through the websites that you are browsing. Is there something I can do to prevent this? Some kind of software or something that will encrypt what I am doing? I know the best thing would be to just stay away, but this will help pass the time (I will have lots of free time) and keep in touch with loved ones back home.

FLAME ALERT FLAME ALERT

Would I be able to mask the sites I'm viewing by using a service such as AOL? Would they see that I'm browsing eBay or Gmail or just that I am on AOL? Years ago when AOL was my internet service (dial up days), they would assign me an IP from inside the AOL program and I would have the IP from my ISP (Earthlink).

/FLAME ALERT /FLAME ALERT

I'm not trying to get away with anything here. Just trying to protect my personal data.

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

You will need to establish an SSH connection to a server you can trust, using a PC you can trust. If you cannot use a machine you can trust, i would look at using a Linux LiveCD and boot off that, making sure there are no hardware keyloggers connected between the keyboard and the PC.

You create SSH connection >>>> The wifi point >>>> Trusted server >>>> destination.

There are things called man in the middle attacks which are able to exploit SSL over wireless to.

securitytube.net/SSL-MITM-Attack-Over-Wireless-video.aspx

A live demo of the attack:
    securitytube.net/SSL-MITM-Attack-Over-Wireless-Demo-video.aspx

This Iraqi's offering troops internet access has bad news written all over it IMO.

:)

3. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I'm half way there. I will be using MY computer. Its just a cheap Dell with a standard Windows XP install that I bought for the deployment. Any other suggestions?

I agree with you. Its not the Army's call though. Around here, you take what you can get when you can get it.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have an opportunity to pick up a Juniper Netscreen Firewall pretty cheap. Would that help my cause any?

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

someone pointed this out the other day

http://www.ninjacloak.com/

it's a regular online proxy but it allows you to use SSL so it's encrypted.