question about injury

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hoodoo, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

I posted awhile back about some pain around a hip flexor that I got from squatting, then squatting when it was hurting. I'm guessing it was just a strain, its hurt off and on for about 3 weeks and I was wondering if the more experienced dudes thought that getting some sort of groin wrap would be good enough to use to exercise on it (squat mainly)

2. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I have the same pain except when I do deep full cleans... It bothers me a bit on front squats as well. Dont know what to say, but stretching it has helped me a lot.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

stretch your hip flexors pre-squatting, and when you're in the bottom range of the squat, you need to focus on keeping your core tight and flex your glutes...

I used to get a similar pain in my right hip, and i'm pretty sure it was the fact that my hip was bending so much when there was already a strong pelvic tilt, that my femur was putting a lot of pressure on part of the hip socket that it wasn't supposed to. That's what I read in an article anyways, so I took the author's advice and started flexing my glutes and tightening my core at the lower range of squats and the pain has gone away.

4. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

I have noticed that my ass hasn't been getting sore after squatting in awhile. I do have an anterior tilt though. More sldls and abwork for me it seems.

5. macro

macro New Member

most hip flexor issues are due to lack of stretching or need for postural adjustment during the movement (or both). Lack of adequate warm up may also be part of the problem.

6. MP18

MP18 New Member

hip flexors are notorious for tightening up, i recently did something to my left one from some lower ab work, now i have to stretch it out constantly, but it helps

7. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

No matter how much I stretch it still hurts when I hit around paralell in my squat and I wind up compensating with my right leg. Is it something I can work though or do i need to start curling in the squat rack instead?

8. macro

macro New Member

you probably need to take time off from squatting as your have likely strained either the hip flexors themselves or supporting/stabilizing musculature.

trying to work through it will likely result in further injury, especially with side oriented compensation.

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

do dynamic warmups for the glutes and hips. statically stretch the flexors before exercise

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

doesnt stretching pre lifting stop you from being able to do quite as much?

i stopped stretching about 2 months ago and switched to just lighter warm up sets and have gotten satisfactory results with no injuries, thus far *knocks on wood*

11. MP18

MP18 New Member

not for the hip flexors, they tend to get tight and inhibit posterior chain contraction, so statically stretching them beforehand will be beneficial

12. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

mp18 is an alright guy

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

It only counts if the muscles being stretched play a large role in the lift... and hip flexors really dont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.